FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By ryanfuchs
Hi All,

I bought a drosera Capensis two and a half months ago. It was really healthy for a while, bright green shoots, producing lots of dew, flower stalks, etc.

I transplanted it about 2 weeks later and it looked a little ragged. I got some peat on some of the dew and had a hard time getting it off, but it seemed like the thing to do was to just keep its tray stocked with distilled water and wait for it to rebound.

About a week or two later, I noticed the tips of the new leaves turning black. I was hoping it was temporary, but it seems to have spread, and now all the leaves are yellow/red and it looks like it isn't getting better. It's been about 2 months since transplanting and rather than bouncing back, it has been in continuous decline. I have it in a west/southwest facing window and given that it did so well for a few weeks, I don't think it is a light issue, but I'm not sure.

See some pics of my plant below. Any assistance is much appreciated :|
Attachments:
IMG_6528.jpg
IMG_6528.jpg (3.06 MiB) Viewed 2769 times
By DeadlyCarnivore
The crown of the plant looks very green and healthy to me. What soil is it in exactly? It can take some time for your plant to adjust after being transplanted.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

By ryanfuchs
I should also mention that it hasn't been producing dew really at all since being transplanted. There was some residual dew, and I did feed it shortly after the transplant, but then instead of really feeding, it seemed the dew just dried up.
By optique
Take it outside wash all the media off of it with the hose pipe then rinse it in safe water. play sand is very bad for it. I use perlite myself but if you want sand go for pool filter sand its free of minerals that will dissolve and mess your pool chemistry up or kill cp's

Also that pot looks like it is not sealed on the inside, if so that means it can absorb minerals and become toxic to cp's
MaxVft liked this
By Panman
Also, check the brand of peat that you are using. Some of them, like Miracle Gro, have fertilizer added that will burn the plants.
By DeadlyCarnivore
ryanfuchs wrote:I should also mention that it hasn't been producing dew really at all since being transplanted. There was some residual dew, and I did feed it shortly after the transplant, but then instead of really feeding, it seemed the dew just dried up.
Play sand is very bad as ryan said, Optique is also right about the miracle grow, make sure the peat you use is pure peat with nothing added, and pool filter sand would be the best. The pot could also be an issue.

By ryanfuchs
Wow--I had no idea the play sand could do this. I will replace the medium ASAP.

I also put marble chips in the tray because they looked pretty, but I guess that is probably a no-no as well?
By DeadlyCarnivore
ryanfuchs wrote:Wow--I had no idea the play sand could do this. I will replace the medium ASAP.

I also put marble chips in the tray because they looked pretty, but I guess that is probably a no-no as well?
I would also say the marble chips could be an issue. You never know for sure if they secrete minerals into the water.

By ryanfuchs
Thank you all so much for your help! I am repotting into clean medium in a plastic container tonight while I try and find a new container that will for sure be safe. Hopefully she will rebound -- with any luck you will have saved her :)
By optique
capes are hard to kill. this is a flower stalk i cut off and dropped in the water trey a long time ago. it just cant die.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!