FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Nightwing42540
Hi! My name is Anthony and I'm 14 and live in Miami, Florida. I'm not a very "normal" kid and by that I mean my interests aren't very common. I know how to play flute and I can speak a little German (learning it in school) and can speak fluent Spanish. I like jazz a lot and plan to start playing saxophone and flute in jazz band! I got my first CP 3 weeks ago and have always been fascinated by them. I have also just ordered a Long Red Fingers from the FTS which I am very excited about. I play a lot of video games with friends like CSGO. I am more mature than most kids and not one of those toxic 10 year olds that are always using voice chat to harass others playing CSGO.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Nightwing42540 liked this
By Bob Beer
58, born in Atlanta, Ga but grew up in Iowa City, Iowa, spent several years in Greece and then moved to Seattle. Left Seattle for Istanbul in 2000 to study Turkish music and master the language. Istanbul's water is 90% lime....practically, so I didn't raise many Carnivores there. I returned in fall of 2014 and got into Pings in a way I'd never expected, but also grow some Sarracenias and Droseras. Right now I'm in Frankfurt Germany to interpret for Turkish music company owners at a music fair, then I'll go to Istanbul for a couple weeks before returning to Seattle. I've been putting off getting my hands on some Cephalotus because if the trip, but once that's out of the way i want to try it again. Wish me luck. :-).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Marina M
Hi, my name is Marina, 35, born in Russia living in Finland. I work as a tour guide for Russian speaking tourists, I enjoy my work and think it’s the best one in the world :D
I am married and have a 6 year old son. My hobbies are CPs and other plants, also languages (learning French at the moment) and different cultures. I adore reading with my son and go skiing during winter and rollerscating in summer. I like travelling like many people do, last countries I visited were Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos: had a nice moto trip with my husband in March 2017, still have a tan :D.
We live in a house and have a little garden outside where I grow flowers and some vegetables. We have quite a severe climate in Finland therefore I grow more plants inside rather than outside :? .
My dream now (and goal) is to move to Spain and buy a house in Torrevieja https://tranio.com/spain/valencia/torrevieja/
Because the price is affordable, me and my husband can continue working there and our family can enjoy longer summer. I will spend more time in the garden and maybe even start studying landscape design :P . This is all about me!
By somerandomband
My name is Nikki and I live in Oregon. They all used to consider me a crazy cat lady being that i talk so highly of my two furballs.
20160916_150151.jpg
I've worked at Papa Murphy's for 5 years and manage a store. I'm 25 and 5'8.
20171202_213906.jpg
This year I started growing a typical walmart flytrap. One flytrap led to 15 carnivorous plants ( so far) all living under T5's in my garage. The second I watched my first fly trap close i was in love.
I'm a vocalist in my band and also a visual artist. I simply have too many hobbies! If you want to hear my band our website is
http://www.stariana.com
I like to read, work on cars, take care of plants, sing in shows in my band, paint, draw, cook and have fun!
Last edited by somerandomband on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
somerandomband liked this
By Orit
this is a really interesting thread and i have a lot of reading to do. so far, i am halfway through page 1. :lol: but i have to ask, responding to a very old post: Matt, how did you go from a hunter to a vegan?!? you have just shattered any stereotypes I had about hunters (and vegans). and i wish i could see your picture from red rocks. best venue in the country! i love it so much i got married there. but I'll post my write up (and wedding picture) later.
By riveraXVX
hmmm lets see! my name is John and I live in NC along with my wife and six year old daughter (mentioned here frequently because my current plant obsession is her fault!) haha

I've lived here the better part or 20 years, minus a few years spent in KY and a large chunk of time traveling the U.S. and never being home as much as possible touring with friends bands.

I along with my partner run a small record label called Headfirst! Records which leans on the hardcore/punk side if the spectrum. I grew up listening to thrash metal and classic rock thanks to parents and older friends in the neighborhood corrupting me early! I'm 36 years old now and still into most of the same, although musically I'm a pretty open book as years progress.

we have released I believe 36 records/tapes in the past 10 years now, and we carry around 200 distributed titles in our store/distro, mostly punk/hardcore/metal and the various trickled sub-genres within.

I'm an aged and mostly out of practice web designer, who still dabbles teaching himself things for fun and maintains a few websites and databases for hobbyist projects (record label, a huge flyer/show archive for past punk/hardcore shows in NC from the late 70s to present with over 5000 shows listed)

my partner and I are vegan, and are kid has been raised vegan also, I originally went vegetarian a little over 20 years ago and have been vegan for the past 15 years of that now.

I'm bad at talking about myself. I'm a hermit that likes plants and computers, and dabbling in programming and is surrounded/knee deep in music all the time. I also have a huge interest in photography but mostly just do all that privately. I like learning skills. here is a photo from this time last year (I'm always the one behind a camera I tend to avoid them otherwise haha)

the end.
riveraXVX liked this
By KategoricalKarnivore
I guess I can finally add my story to this thread. I’ve been meaning to for a while I just always forget. So here goes.

My name is Dustin and I’m 36. Born in SE Texas then moved to Denver, Colorado for a couple of years. Back to SE Texas briefly and then to South Carolina when I was about 4. Then back to SE Texas when I was 8. I joined the US Army straight out of highschool as an intelligence analyst. Was stationed in SC at Fort Jackson and then at Fort Huachuca in Arizona. After that I lived in Houston for a few years and then San Antonio for 6 years. I’ve been to 42 of the 50 states. We used to travel all over the states every summer as a kid. I’m currently back in SE Texas.

I have 4 sons. Aged 15 months, 4, 11, and 13 years. Declan, Laken, Cole, and Kane.

My current occupation is welding and assembling agricultural implements for tractors. Things like 12’, 15’, and 20’ folding mower decks, box blades, skid steers, discs, and a few different products for New Holland and Case/IH. Some of my previous jobs include tugboat deckhand in New York, store manager for T-Mobile, steel building construction, stock market day trader, and various odd jobs.

I got my first flytrap about 18 months ago, found this great community, and have been addicted to CPs ever since. I love how people in this hobby are so generous and willing to help out with info and share their love of these plants with everyone else. This community has allowed me to gather great information from experienced growers that has helped me be able to grow and keep all the plants that I grow alive. I love being able to help others like I have been helped and give back to this community.

Some of my other hobbies include fishing, hiking, drawing, and spending time with my family. I don’t really have any friends to go out and do stuff with. But I have a lot of family members in this area and we get together pretty regularly.

I guess that’s about it for now.
By pastelgalaxy748
hi my name is Jess from pennsylvania and i was shocked to see that Kelby lives in harrisburg! i literally live 5 minutes from there... im 15 and oh man do i love my plants... i just finished my sophomore year and honestly idk what im going to do with my life after high school but thats okay. ive had lots of mental health issues and was even in ppi (pennsylvania psychiatric institute) twice so woooooo thats fUn (not) but my plants have really brought me a lot of joy and all of them have names and are absolutely adorable
pastelgalaxy748 liked this
By AnitaB
Hello. My real name is Margie. I'm 53, have MS. I used to do Picture framing for a living , but now I'm waiting on disability and taking care of my mother. I also make stop motion cartoons. I've grown lots of different plants but have wanted to grow VFTs for a long time, but never been able to keep the ones at Walmart, lowes ect…alive I found this site and now I've got some VFTs spouted and hoping they survive. I'm now wanting to try all the carnivorous plants.
It was great to meet all of you. :D
By toiletshorts
woo hoo, first post of 2019 on this thread ;) hope it's alright to still post despite the gap.

My irl name is Lovelyn (it's ok, nobody spells/says it right the first time), i am 26 and i am originally from Sarawak, Borneo. I've since moved to the UK for uni and then found a job here so i'm living in the uk for now. But i do miss my rainforest state :( the uk's tame flora and fauna scene is quaint but nothing beats the rainforest. i miss the humidity (sometimes!), the FRUITS, the animals that make themselves at home in your house, the SUN, the weird and wonderful plants, and most of all i miss the (almost) clockwork thunderstorm everyday at 5/6pm especially during the wet season.

I am a woman of colour and a woman in construction. breaking ALL the social norms! I don't think anyone knows what a Quantity Surveyor is unless you're in construction yourself? but yeah i am one :'D a mere fledgling, only graduated a couple years ago and haven't been working THAT long. If anyone wants to talk shop about construction, be my guest haha! always up for a good chit chat.

I don't have the confidence to post a photo of myself (just yet). I have a new VFT named Cecil, and he has legit become like a support animal for me.

I am loving this forum, many of y'all are very responsive and friendly, and despite finding it hard to make friends usually, y'all make it a lot less scary talking to strangers on this site. Cecil and I thank you and thought we'd share more about ourselves :)
By Benny
post deleted by request
By optimus prime
Yo this was in 2009. Daaaaaaaang
By Matt
Joshuamarshall792 wrote:Here I am!
Great to see your face, Josh!!!
optimus prime wrote:Yo this was in 2009. Daaaaaaaang
Yep, Veronis started this thread not too long after this forum got busy. It was neat to learn a little about all the people lives who were using it. It hasn't been used much lately, which is understandable due to the online climate. But I sure do miss getting to really know people online....
By Carnies
Here we go. As of now, I am 11 years old and turning 12 in April. Yes, you read that right. I am seriously addicted to carnivorous plants and want to start a business. I sold at the Farmers Market at Bay Meadows in San Mateo and got around 500$ worth of plant selling! I am a living example of why we need to change this world. Climate change is taking over and selling plants was my reason to raise money and tell people about carnivorous plants. If you want to support and take a step to stop climate change donate to my gofundme page: gf.me/u/zmpkjs. Thank you! I hope this helped you understand more about me.
sanguinearocks101, Matt liked this
By albertoburrito
I think it’s time I introduce myself.
My name is Albert, I’m 12, and my birthday is May 24, 2009. I’m from Arizona. My hobbies are carnivorous plants(obviously), video games, tv shows, camping, and browsing this forum. I have a loving family of 4(including me), though they sometimes get annoyed of me shoving pictures of CPs I’m their face :lol: . I don’t want to show my face because my parents say it’s dangerous for me to show my face online.
Matt liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!