FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By MaxVft
Hello all,
I have some VFT seeds I want to sow later today, possibly.
My question was, are there any(viable) alternatives to just planting on plain old peat(which I will be doing with like 60 percent of my seeds), such as putting them in pure water or putting them on a moist tissue paper in a ziploc bag? The reason I ask this is because:
1. I wanna experiment with extra seed
2. I don't think my mom will really approve of me putting dirt in our only pressure cooker(sterilizing).
Thanks everyone and have a great day,
Max
Last edited by MaxVft on Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By michijake
I don't know of any alternative methods, but I didn't do any sterilization for germinating my seeds and I got great results (10/12 germinated). I did cold stratification (4 weeks in the fridge) because my seeds were not super fresh, but I don't know whether they actually needed it since I've read mixed things about that.

Here's the method I used: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7BYnk-NxaA&t=458s (even though he's planting sarracenia seeds, it works for VFTs also)

Have fun planting!
MaxVft liked this
By Shadowtski
I tried a series of experiments using distilled water and test tubes to germinate (mostly) Drosera seeds.
The project was mostly a success.
I wrote them up as a number of posted threads.
Search for Water Germination Experiment In the SEARCHBAR of the forum, you should find them.
If not, I'll put up links to them.
Mike
MaxVft liked this
By MaxVft
Shadowtski wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:54 pm I tried a series of experiments using distilled water and test tubes to germinate (mostly) Drosera seeds.
The project was mostly a success.
I wrote them up as a number of posted threads.
Search for Water Germination Experiment In the SEARCHBAR of the forum, you should find them.
If not, I'll put up links to them.
Mike
Hi Mike,
I used a similar method last month, also with cape seeds. So far, 3 out of about 50 have germinated in the last month. But it has been only 1 month, so I probably have plenty that will germinate in the next few month.
By evenwind
I've had good results with Cape seeds and the water method but not so much with other drosera species. At this point, I'm sowing most of my seeds on damp peat.

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!