FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Jackieplus6
I did so much reading about the fly trap and I’m blaming sleepiness and lack of reading on myself for what I may have done.

My new VFT was delivered yesterday (not supposed to be in till the 22nd) so I wasn’t ready and got home super late from work. Traveled to the only open store at midnight to get distilled water. Nope. None there. But they did have reverse osmosis water, which I read was ok. Got it home, soaked the moss, and got it in its pot.

However today there are a ton of black traps (not this way out of the box). I double checked the water and it has fluoride in it :/. So went back out today, got the proper distilled water, rinsed the roots and moss and replanted.

We have some green, but the black, oh the black. It hurts my heart. So will it eventually all go this way or did I maybe salvage it? Can I do anything else to salvage it? Thoughts are greatly appreciated. Image[/img]
Attachments:
BA733F12-4958-4EB1-B77E-2C2FA3052A6F.png
BA733F12-4958-4EB1-B77E-2C2FA3052A6F.png (9.26 MiB) Viewed 1863 times
By bcavanau
As long as there is green, there is hope. Might take a while to bounce back. If you have more moss, I would suggest changing it out. If not, every couple days rinse/water from the top, letting the water come out the bottom and down the drain. Then fresh distilled water in your bowl...repeat. This should help continue to remove any contaminants from your bad water, if any remain.

Hoping for the best.
Brian
Panman, Jackieplus6 liked this
By Panman
Ouch. That is a tough lesson to learn. I agree with Brian that you should swap out the moss for fresh moss if possible. If not, flush like he suggests. When you rinsed the roots off, how did they look? You should have seen green leaves attached to a white rhizome. The rhizome would have had black roots with white tips. If the rhizome and roots looked good then you will likely be able to save the plant.
By Panman
On another note, that looks to be a 2 inch pot, correct? If so, you aren't going to want to leave it sitting in a lot of water. Flytrap roots get to be 5 or so inches long and they don't like being in soggy soil. You may have to experiment with top watering it to keep it at the right moisture level. I have potted most of my flytraps in pots that are 5.5 inches deep so that I can leave them sitting in a little bit of water.
By Jackieplus6
Hi yes based on the internet pics I pulled the roots did look good. No store has moss locally but I’ve ordered some from Amazon, should be here tomorrow. I have ordered 4.5” pots
For repotting since they came in the nursery pots. So hopefully lots more room and satisfaction for him.
Panman liked this
By bcavanau
Not sure where you are located, but many pet shops have long fiber sphagnum moss as it is used for reptiles. Might be a helpful tip in the future.
Panman liked this
By Bobioden
Lowe’s and Hone Depot also carries some.
Drosera germination time

I know I got the "Redrum" seeds from th[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!