FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By albertoburrito
I only give them morning sun, and shade the rest of the day, but I'm worried that isn't enough. Will they be fine? It is getting up to 120 F
By ChefDean
Personally, I would probably bring them in at this point. With the high temps and lower than normal humidity (of your already low humidity)I don't think you could keep them in enough water keep them alive.
albertoburrito liked this
By albertoburrito
I have some florescent grow lights, so should I keep them under that now? Also, should I acclimate them to indoor enviroment?
By albertoburrito
Also, how do I give them cooler temperatures during dormancy?
By ChefDean
Yes, that yould be a good idea.
No, just bring them in so they don't melt.
Fridge might be a good option for Arizona, but you probably should have figured out a plan for dormancy before you got them.
By albertoburrito
I did, I was planning to keep them outside for the winter to go dormant, but I don't know if bringing them outside after being indoors would make them go dormant.
By ChefDean
No, the decrease in temps and photoperiod will be what guides them into dormancy. Bringing them inside may slow them down, but I think leaving them outside will be a death sentence for them.
However, depending on how long this heat lasts, you may have to re acclimate them back outside before dormancy.
albertoburrito, MaxVft liked this
By albertoburrito
Thanks, I will probably put them in a cold room and adjust the photoperiod, because outside during winter it can still get to the nineties. I also might acclimate them to the outdoors once it gets into fall.
By frankgrimes087
Hey everyone I'm glad I ran into this post as I live in Glendale Arizona which is basically Phoenix, and I am dealing with the exact same thing as albertoburrito. Todays temperature got to 115F and the next couple of days are going to get up to 117F. I have been growing flytraps here for a little over 3 years and it truly has been a challenge growing them in the heat. Just the other day I was also debating whether or not I should bring my flytraps inside for the day and then bring them back out when it starts to cool off. The problem I was having with this(which I don't know how true this is) is that I was worried that my plants would start going into shock from bringing them back and fourth from outside to inside and repeating this for a whole week until the temperatures start to cool down. The thing is that at 9am the temperatures will already be 95+ degrees outside so I was going to bring them inside which is consistently at 77F. The plants would be inside until about 5pm, and then bring them back outside when the temperatures finally start to drop but even then they can still be well over 100F. I decided to keep my plants outside but am being EXTREMELY careful and watching them like a hawk. I am keeping all plants under fruit trees while also using a shade cloth and I still see light poking through and touching plants, so I know my plants are getting dappled sunlight throughout the day. One thing that I started to do this year which I think has truly saved me so far is switching to white styro foam cups. These cups work so well in the heat and they really keep the plants cool. For watering I am actually able to get away with watering every other day, however if these 115+ temperatures continue that might change to everyday. I know I might sound crazy with the watering lol but sphagnum moss truly does hold water well, and here is another thing that I learned from last summer about watering. Last summer we would have similar temperatures(maybe not this early in the summer) but we did have a day where we got up to 118F I believe in July, and I was keeping water in the pots all day and night and I learned that I was actually overwatering which I thought was incredible in this kind of heat! The moss was actually starting to get slimy/green looking. But anyways, I am definitely no expert and am still learning all the time and I know keeping the plants outside is probably not the best option and I know they are very stressed from the heat, but I must say that they still look pretty decent/good , although I have noticed some lashes/flytraps that get burnt, but the main point is that flytraps CAN survive in the heat because I have done it now for a couple of summers but let me tell you it really is a challenge. Also, if you happen to read this ChefDean I just wanted to say that I really like all the advice that you have given throughout this forum. I have read through the forums for awhile now when I am trying to find information about something and you have had some really good advice on things!
By frankgrimes087
One thing I forgot to mention is that growing them outside here in the summer it is really hard to get good coloration on the flytraps because you just cant get enough direct sunshine.. That is why I started using a 50% shade cloth so I could at least get dappled sunlight throughout the day. I also always have problems with mites during the summer... They absolutely LOVE the weather here lol... But by no means go by my advice albertoburrito I just wanted to share my experience since we both live in Arizona. Like I said before ChefDean has shared some really good advice throughout these forums and knows a lot about flytraps! I hope everything works out with your flytraps!
By albertoburrito
Alright, so I'm gonna start reacclimating them in september. It is still warmer than room temperature during that time, but I want them to have some time to slowly go into dormancy.
frankgrimes087 liked this
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!