FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By FlytrapPalooza
Okay so, to my horror I saw spider-mite crawl into my flytrap's pot. Granted the sand mixture I have going on makes it very wet, and has yet to resurface. I can't do anything about it until tomorrow which is when I plant to get a form of plant friendly insecticide. Is there any precautions I can take? Sorry for any typos in advance I'm sweaty and VERY panicky.
By ChefDean
If it's the beginning of a possible infestation, use Bioadvanced 3 in 1. Very safe for Flytraps, not bad for other carnivorous plants either.
MikeB liked this
By FlytrapPalooza
Don't think I have access to those but I'll look for something similar. I repotted the thing yesterday and no little nasties in the roots or anything, so I naturally feel really upset to have one crawl towards it the second I leave it to sunbathe. Ever heard of this Provanto brand? But thank you, at least I know it's not all doom and gloom!
By evenwind
Are you sure it was a spider mite? They're rarely seen moving, just sitting. The are similar-looking predator mites that move around a lot more.
By FlytrapPalooza
It was an orange tiny little spider thing and had clear little legs. I did a quick google search and apparently it is? Not sure how reliable it was.
By evenwind
Try Googling "red predatory mites" and see if it's any closer to what you remember.
By FlytrapPalooza
It looks unsettlingly similar to what I remember, even if it's a false alarm I'd rather be safe than sorry. I don't have any as I recently got back into gardening in general and apparently forgot garden pests were a thing.
By evenwind
I looked up "Provanto" brand and (while I might have missed it) didn't see anything about miticide. Generally, insecticide won't kill mites.
By FlytrapPalooza
Wait nvm I found this other brand that does, Bug cleaner ultra gun. But I really appreciate your help, glad this forum exists Carnivorous plants are one of those misunderstood plants.
By evenwind
Happy to offer help.

One thing, and definitely not required, it would be helpful if you added some kind of location data to your profile - the normal assumption is that you're here in the US and any particular brands or sources we mention might not be available to you.
By Z_Y
I actually didn't have too good of an experience with Bayer/Bioadvanced 3 in 1. It made my flytraps make all of these extremely curved traps for a while. Here's the post I made about it previously:
post368411.html

The Avid worked really well on the other hand, haven't seen a mite since. I only really use the Bioadvanced stuff on my cephs now, and even then it seems to do nothing for powdery mildew.
By Cryosis7
Based on my recent (and current) experience with spider mites, that doesn't sound like mites.
I could not even tell that they were mites, they just looked like dots and I never saw them moving. The only way I noticed them was that traps were slowly dying. But that's just my experience, I'll upload a photoImage

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Hello everyone! I am a new flytrap owner and purc[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!