FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Ewreck
I am thinking of getting a led light. I was looking at the Mars hydro1000 but I was wondering will I be able to keep all my plants under it? Just a different distances from it? I have a nep vft sar sundews and seeds I’m attempting to germinate. Will I be able to keep all of them under it and germinate the seeds too? Also I’m not sold 100% on the Mars hydro I like the dimming but maybe I should get one with a fan on it? I’m really only trying to prolly light 2 1020 trays but it will have to be in my room so I am a little worried about the heat. My Sarracenia is only 4 in tall by the way and plan to put it and the vft back in full sun I’m just struggling to find a stable place where they get enough light and not roast them. It’s already going to be around 100 to 110 all week.
By Ewreck
Sorry for the rambling question..I am actually leaning more towards the spider farmer 1000 could I keep all my plants and germinate seeds or maybe leaf pulling all at the same time if I wanted to?
By Greenthumbs Garden
I have the Mars TS1000 and it gives off very minimal heat, I tested it on full with my heat gun and it was quite cool for a light. I have neps under mine and veggie seedlings, flower stalk cuttings, and other stuff all that varying distances, and they all doing very well. I hear the Spider Farmer lights are very good also.

Ewreck, Supercazzola liked this
By Ewreck
Very nice..kinda tore between the two now lol another question does anyone grow weed with their cps? I’m wondering if I could grow just like 1 autoflower with them. I just know they get kinda big but supposedly autoflowers stay a little more compact and bushy. Just curious or if it would be better to just stick to one or the other. Also light periods might affect the cps?
Also they are pretty much the same price right now with the Mars hydro being $126 and SF at $135
By Ewreck
Greenthumb garden what do you do for a photoperiod? How many hours do you have it on with all the different stuff under it at once? Also I ended up ordering g the sf1000 qb since it was only 100w instead of 150 and the reviews I read said it ran a little cooler.
By Greenthumbs Garden
nice! I have my light on for 18h on a timer, turns on at 6.00 and off at 24.00h that way ill notice if there is a problem and the lights don't go out.
By Matt
I love my Spider Farmer!! Grew some Sarracenia under it from September through April and they were the size of 2-3-year-old plants grown naturally outdoors. Some pitchers were over a foot tall by the time I moved them out to the greenhouse in May!!
Ewreck, Nepenthes0260 liked this
By Nepenthes0260
Marshydro, Spider Farmer, and Yescoms are all good brands for artificial lighting. My favorite is probably the Spider Farmer ones (I use the SF1000D model) because they really don’t produce much heat, but they are the most expensive. They produce a ton of light and I only have to use two of them to light my 3 x 6 foot tables. Mars Hydro TS-600 are good as well but aren’t quite as intense and produce more heat. Yescoms are the least intense and do produce a good amount of heat but are very cheap haha.
Attachments:
Ceph grown under TS-600
Ceph grown under TS-600
C7CD8E60-19CE-4312-84EE-88EA61A90CAD.jpeg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 8047 times
By specialkayme
Comparing the Spider Farmer SF1000D to the Mars Hydro TS-600 isn't exactly comparing apples to apples though. Both have a recommended growing area of 2'x2', and both consumer 100w of energy, but the SF1000D is twice the price as the TS-600, at substantially comparable PPFD output.

For the same price as a SF1000D, you could get two TS-600's and have twice the growing space (at twice the electrical draw), or one TS-1000 and have 44% more growing space and 30% more PPFD (at 50% more electrical draw).

Although in full disclosure, I own neither. I used MH and HPS years ago (along with some REALLY CHEAP LEDs, and the original "UFO" LEDs from decades ago, if anyone remembers them, that were the first real grow LEDs on the market, were super expensive and you needed to grow plants about 2" away from them), and the GE grow bulbs (which have worked absolute wonders for me for the price). Admittedly, I need to up my light game, so I have a Carnivero Florawave light on the way, and I'm seriously considering a MarsHydro as well. A little in "paralysis analysis" at the moment between all the options though.
By specialkayme
Depends on the model. Spider Farmer's SF1000D draws an advertised 100w of energy. Some other models pull less or more. Same with the competitors.

I say "advertised" because if you check youtube there are tons of people who test them out, and most draw less than the advertised rating. Some pull to 95% of advertised wattage at peak, others only to 70% or so. Some it takes a while to get to that point, others not so much.

It's the wild west in LED grow lighting apparently.
roarke liked this
By bcavanau
I have 3 Yescoms on a 3ft shelf. Been very pleased with them. I haven't had them long, but all my plants are starting to show quite a bit of red, which I expect to deepen over time. They are inexpensive, easy to hang, and seem to be doing the job.
setup_lights_wide.jpg
setup_lights_wide.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 7878 times
Carnivorous_Collection_Photo.jpeg
Carnivorous_Collection_Photo.jpeg (112.51 KiB) Viewed 7878 times
MaxVft liked this

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!