FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By albertoburrito
Since drosera capillaris doesn't live that long, do I have to worry about pollinating and sowing seeds every year? Also, should I grow D. Capillaris outdoors in AZ? Does it need dormancy?
By Shadowtski
albertoburrito wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:42 pm Since drosera capillaris doesn't live that long, do I have to worry about pollinating and sowing seeds every year? Also, should I grow D. Capillaris outdoors in AZ? Does it need dormancy?
Drosera capillaris mostly grows in the Southeastern US. It is a perennial and will live several years.
Mine slow down or stop growing in Winter but they don't form a Winter hibernaculum like more Northerly Sundews do.
They have a wide range and some grow year round in the Southern end of their range, I believe.
Some years I grab seed and donate it, some years I just let them go.
By albertoburrito
Thanks! Do you think that it will grow better outdoors in AZ, or indoors? Also, some sources say that if I let if flower it can die. Is that true? Also, do they self-pollinate?
By Shadowtski
albertoburrito wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:39 pm Thanks! Do you think that it will grow better outdoors in AZ, or indoors? Also, some sources say that if I let if flower it can die. Is that true? Also, do they self-pollinate?
I'm in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin metro area, so this is just my 02¢ worth of a guess.
They'd like the light outside better.
They could handle the temperature outside if they were in a bog or planting setup with enough water to keep humidity higher than Arizona's dry air usually is.
If the plant is healthy, there should be no problem letting them flower and set seed.
Drosera capillaris do self pollinate and produce seed for me.
They could do OK indoors with adequate lighting.
albertoburrito liked this
By albertoburrito
Thanks! I have a shade cloth and a big deep water tray to keep the humidity up, so it should be fine. Last questions. Should I germinate them indoors or outdoors, and should I use a humidity bag? I feel like they would get cooked if I used a bag for humidity outside. Sorry for the spamming lol
By Shadowtski
I would germinate the seeds indoors and move them outdoors when they have 4 or 5 leaves. Leave them in open shade, (North side of house) until they're halfway grown. Then start acclimating them to full sun.
Maybe some Arizona growers have first hand experience with this species in sunny AZ-land.
If so, follow their advice.
Good growing,
Mike
albertoburrito liked this
By MaxVft
Hi Alberto,
The method for germinating sundews is technically universal(with exceptions for some species),including with capillaris,the type I sent you.Capillaris is warm-temperate,which is where they are somewhat temperate but are still tropical-like.They grow fine in a windowsill,but I reccomend outdoor growing if you want it to flower and/or grow bigger and healthier.
You can find the tutorial for germinating sundew seeds here:
http://www.growsundews.com/sundews/Germ ... _Seed.html
Thanks and happy growing,
Max
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!