FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By hungrycarnivores
Hi all,

Here's some info on plants I have been keeping at a museum locally so they can educate kids. I'm a huge drosera/pings/neps guy so those are well taken care of but sarrs have always been a mystery to me.

Judging by my experiences with helis, I want to say thrips but I'm not too sure.

Base info:
Part shade, Part sun, outdoors, CA zone 10A.
Last repot was 1 year ago
Any visible pests: no
Fungus: no
Checked for soil compaction, soil is still loose and airy
New roots are white and without problems.

Please let me know what is wrong. I have Imidacloprid/Cyfluthrin but I am only going to spray if there is a complete need since we have fish and bees at this museum too and neoconitoids can get dicey with aquatic life and beehives.
sarr1.jpg
sarr1.jpg (757.05 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
sarr2.jpg
sarr2.jpg (633.58 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
By MikeB
hungrycarnivores wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:27 pm sarrs have always been a mystery to me.
Matt has the fix for that:

Grow Happy and Healthy Sarracenia Pitcher Plants
https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/sarracenia-care-sheet

Base info:
Part shade, Part sun, outdoors, CA zone 10A.
Ding-ding-ding! Not enough sunlight. Sarracenia are full-sun plants, like tomatoes, peppers, and corn. Try to give them at least 5 hours of direct sunshine, preferably 8 hours or more.
By Huntsmanshorn
What I usually do in a situation like this is give them more light, if I can, and see if that helps. If that fails to improve things I will use Neam oil because it's "natural" and it might get the job done, and it doesn't seem to hurt so why not? If that fails, I go to serious measures and break out the systemic bug poison and really go to town, sometimes that does the trick and sometimes it doesn't but you do what you can. You could also try "reacidifying " the growing media by watering with very strong black tea or you can mix a very little vinegar with their water and use that. Some people swear this helps but I haven't ever noticed any real difference.

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!