FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Frothy_Milk
Hello,

I have read so many things about the frequency that people fertilize they’re neps, and it’s pretty scrambled. Some say once a month, some say twice a month, some say once every other week.

How frequently do you fertilize your nepenthes?

Trying to get a little tally going to see what the average is.

Currently doing once a month

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By CPhunter101
I totally agree that fertilization frequency for neps is very scrambled. I might as well scramble it some more.

Here's what I do with my neps to keep them happy:

Once a month, I fertilize with Maxsea fertilizer at 1/4 teaspoon per gallon. I fill their pitchers all the way up with Maxsea.

Then, at another time in the month, I collect pillbugs and place 2-4 pillbugs per pitcher.

All in all, I fertilize about 2 times per month (natural and unatural fertilization).

Although, I'm not even counting all the flies that my neps catch...
By Supercazzola
Yes, I think a lot has to do with where you keep them. If you keep them outside and they catch prey, it’s one thing. If they are inside, in a grow tent, it’s another.
By ChefDean
For me, it depends on a couple of factors.
Last year, with my big ventricosa, I put a single large Osmocote pellet once a month in each pitcher that had started drying up at the top. But only those drying ones. Once the bugs came out, I stopped all chemical fertilizer and let Mother Nature do her thing. I may have helped by stuffing the pitchers with Japanese Beetles and June Bugs.
This year I have two small Lady Lucks, so they have been getting a foliar spray of Maxsea (1/4 tsp per gallon of water) every two weeks. One of the Ladies has put out a pitcher big enough that I'll start putting the Maxsea into the pitcher with a syringe, filling it about halfway. I don't want to do too much because it's still small, and I want it to produce more pitchers. I have had Neps skip making pitchers for a few leaves with chemical fertilizers, but with the bugs, each new leaf put out a pitcher.
Essentially, people do what they feel is best with fertilizer, you should too. However, the big thing that everyone does is observe how the plant reacts and adjust accordingly. Could I fertilize more? Sure, but I don't see a need. Could others fertilize less? Also sure, but their plants are doing well, so they see no reason to change their routine.
My suggestion would be to start small. Get some Maxsea as a bonus with your next seed bank request (if you already haven't) and mix up a gallon. Start by filling one pitcher and see how your plant reacts. Next month, try two pitchers, and so on. If it looks like the plant doesn't like it, stop. But with 1/4 tsp per gallon, you shouldn't have any problems.
By Frothy_Milk
ChefDean wrote:For me, it depends on a couple of factors.
Last year, with my big ventricosa, I put a single large Osmocote pellet once a month in each pitcher that had started drying up at the top. But only those drying ones. Once the bugs came out, I stopped all chemical fertilizer and let Mother Nature do her thing. I may have helped by stuffing the pitchers with Japanese Beetles and June Bugs.
This year I have two small Lady Lucks, so they have been getting a foliar spray of Maxsea (1/4 tsp per gallon of water) every two weeks. One of the Ladies has put out a pitcher big enough that I'll start putting the Maxsea into the pitcher with a syringe, filling it about halfway. I don't want to do too much because it's still small, and I want it to produce more pitchers. I have had Neps skip making pitchers for a few leaves with chemical fertilizers, but with the bugs, each new leaf put out a pitcher.
Essentially, people do what they feel is best with fertilizer, you should too. However, the big thing that everyone does is observe how the plant reacts and adjust accordingly. Could I fertilize more? Sure, but I don't see a need. Could others fertilize less? Also sure, but their plants are doing well, so they see no reason to change their routine.
My suggestion would be to start small. Get some Maxsea as a bonus with your next seed bank request (if you already haven't) and mix up a gallon. Start by filling one pitcher and see how your plant reacts. Next month, try two pitchers, and so on. If it looks like the plant doesn't like it, stop. But with 1/4 tsp per gallon, you shouldn't have any problems.
I did my very first maxsea spray around the 20th of May. This is when I had them outside, but in a semi-controlled environment, so they also caught food.

I just recently moved them inside to a growtent. I think I’ll give every two weeks a shot for all of my plants, and adjust accordingly I guess.

So I guess it is scrambled for a reason. Never really put growing environment into play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!