FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By adam_
Hey everyone,

I got this plant in March in spring. I think it's doing ok, but as you can see in the pictures there's some new growth that's blackened(the blackening/browning traps came out that way, I just didn't take a picture until now). There's also that one petiole that looks discolored to me. It seems like the plants still doing alright-- I've seen some new and healthy traps. I was wondering if these are problems that will go away as it gets sunlight, grows, and as I keep it a little drier(see below) or if there are any tell tale signs here and I should do something right now.

I use distilled water. I water it top down while avoiding pouring any water on the plant itself. When I put it out in the sun, which is daily, I do put about 1" of water in the dish. For the last month or so it's probably been averaging over 10 hours of sunlight outside. I may have been keeping it a little too damp, only a little. I do notice that the sides of the pot are warm to the touch when it's out in the sun, so hoping that would more or less counter some of the problems from dampness. Outside temps haven't broken 85 where I'm at. I spilled some water on it once about a month ago or maybe more, when it was cold and rainy here for a while. Could that have caused the new growth to rot at the tips? Thanks!
Attachments:
PXL_20210527_022633882.jpg
PXL_20210527_022633882.jpg (2.99 MiB) Viewed 1023 times
PXL_20210527_022534643.jpg
PXL_20210527_022534643.jpg (2.88 MiB) Viewed 1023 times

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!