FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Cryosis7
Over summer I harvested seeds from my VFT and came away with about 50 seeds.
I bought a large pot, filled it with sphagnum and planted them with the intent to just let them grown until they're quite large rather than growing the seeds in one medium and repotting once they've sprouted roots.

They sit in a sun room that can sometimes get hot and dry in summery days however it's Autumn/Winter now so that's not much of an issue.

Does everything look ok? Am I ok to just leave these guys here like this over winter?

A slightly unrelated question, for my adult VFT's, am I ok leaving them on an inside windowsill for winter? Will the reduced sun be enough to trigger their dormancy? Our winters are generally quite mild, I think equivalent of zone 10ish on the US scale
ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
By Nepenthes0260
Nice plantlets! Look good to me. And yes, leave them in that spot for their first couple years while they put some size on before they go dormant.

If it's zone 10 outdoors for you, I would just leave those adult Dionaea outside year round. They would do amazing, and anyways usually get a tad stretched if grown in a windowsill.
By Cryosis7
I may look at moving the seedlings outside then to reduce maintenance efforts...

But as for the adults...
I would miss them too much, maybe once I split this season I'll leave some outside and some inside

By Nepenthes0260
I'd do the opposite, keep the seedlings indoors (so they don't go dormant) and keep the adult plants outdoors, but your plants your choice. You can successfully grow Dionaea indoors but generally it's a lot more difficult than just setting them outside haha.
By michijake
If your climate is zone 10 equivalent, I’d be worried that it’s not cold enough outside to actually send them into dormancy. What’s the average daytime temperature during your winter?
By MaxVft
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:02 pm I'd do the opposite, keep the seedlings indoors (so they don't go dormant)
IMO,nobody should skip dormancy on dionaea,no matter the life stage. You'll get much healthier plants that way.Just my opinion
By Nepenthes0260
MaxVft wrote:
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:02 pm I'd do the opposite, keep the seedlings indoors (so they don't go dormant)
IMO,nobody should skip dormancy on dionaea,no matter the life stage. You'll get much healthier plants that way.Just my opinion
In-situ they would grow like that, but it also takes a while to grow plants from seed to maturity, as much as five years if they're going dormant every winter. Both ways get the same end result haha, just one gets there a bit quicker.
By Cryosis7
I realised that the windowsill in my room may get some weird temps as I'll have the heater on randomly through the winter so I might look at moving them...

How do I move them without shocking them to the change in environment?
And how does rain affect Dionaea? Wouldn't it be constantly triggering their traps?

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!