FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Ewreck
I live in AZ zone 8b and I wanna get some shade cloth so I can keep my plants outside. I think I read 30% is good but looking at some of these pics of it in use it doesn’t seem like it would be enough. Anyone got any advice what % to try first at least?
By CPhunter101
In the heat of the California sun, I use a 30% shade cloth and it works just fine. 50% is probably too much shade.
I keep my flytraps and drosera underneath it, but my sarrs are in full sun. You can order this shade cloth on Amazon fo $15.
https://www.amazon.com/Agfabric-Sunbloc ... 495&sr=8-5
Supercazzola, vflytrap87, MaxVft and 1 others liked this
By frankgrimes087
I live in Phoenix Arizona and have been growing flytraps for 3+ years. The summers here have truly been a challenge to grow flytraps in but it is definitely possible! This is the first summer that I am using a shade cloth that is 50% and so far it has been doing great! I don't think 50% is too much especially when the temperatures here can get over 110 degrees but we will see how everything goes once the summer really kicks in! Another option for shade that I have found really helpful (if you have them) is putting your plants under some type of tree that provides lots shade. I have some of my flytraps under an orange tree and that has been a great way to keep the plants cooler in the summer months while still getting the plants dappled sunlight throughout the day. I also switched all my pots to the white Styrofoam cups which has made a difference so far in keeping the plants cool!
By owlfeathers
If you don't mind, I'd like to piggyback off of this topic...

I live in coastal Alabama, so I'm also in zone 8b (although I imagine it's quite a bit more humid here than AZ). I have 2 death cube flytraps planted in LFSM with a little peat on the bottom and 3 in peat/sand/perlite from AG3 with a top dressing of LFSM. (Two of the AG3's have a small division each so I guess it's technically 5 AG3's total?)

My concern is that it's getting too hot outside for a whole day of direct sunlight, which is what they have been getting for the past week or so. Today peaked around 86F I think, and it's just going to get hotter. Before, they were getting partial shade under a massive live oak that creates a sort of natural "roof" for our carport and porch (not to brag or anything :mrgreen: ), but I just felt like that wasn't enough light. So now I'm feeling pretty conflicted :?

I do also want to see some bright red traps, but I think they might catch too much prey for that. :( The ones with working traps (my King Henry and Lowe's typical got overwhelmed and the old traps don't work anymore) almost always have something in 1 or 2 of their traps.

Here's a pic of all 5 of them (plus 2 baby pots with cut flower stalks planted in them) from ~2 weeks ago
Attachments:
IMG_20210516_185703.jpg
IMG_20210516_185703.jpg (5.86 MiB) Viewed 1995 times
Basal shoots cutting questions

Awesome thank you so much

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!