FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By coorain
Hello all!

The past 2 weeks have a a whirlwind of activity and life events and I'm just now taking a break and getting to spend some time with my plants... only to discover what I think may be thrip damage. I pulled out and took photos of the plants that look the most effected to me. I haven't been able to spot any pests at all, but I don't have great eyesight, so I would love to get some opinions.

Last year I had somewhat similar looking issues, but I was finding aphids and treated them with neem oil. I'm not currently seeing any aphids, but I'm now wondering if I have had thrips for longer than I initially thought. The aphid damage did seem greater than the aphids I was seeing last year, but anyway.

I'd prefer to avoid pesticides, but am prepared to apply acephate if this is thrips.
Attachments:
IMG_3498.jpg
IMG_3498.jpg (448.84 KiB) Viewed 3803 times
IMG_3497.jpg
IMG_3497.jpg (518.88 KiB) Viewed 3803 times
IMG_3496.jpg
IMG_3496.jpg (440.01 KiB) Viewed 3803 times
IMG_3495.jpg
IMG_3495.jpg (446.13 KiB) Viewed 3803 times
IMG_3494.jpg
IMG_3494.jpg (553.93 KiB) Viewed 3803 times
IMG_3492.jpg
IMG_3492.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 3803 times
By That one plant boi
Certainly looks like it could be...
I had a problem with thrips last year and my pitchers grew in the same contorted ways. Try to see if you can spot those little buggers on the leaves.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By Matt
I agree with @That one plant boi, it does look like it could be pest damage. When were those plants last repotted? It could also be that the crown was damaged during a repot or they're just getting settled into their new pots. Sarracenia often put up deformed growth after being recently repotted.
By coorain
Thank you both!

Matt, they were recently repotted, so it's possible this is them settling. I was later to repot them than I would have liked.

I do have 2 plants that weren't repotted that I'm seeing a single deformed trap on each, so I think I will treat everything with acephate, just to be safe. I have dealt with thrips years ago (before I had an CPs) and do not want to repeat that disaster.
By Matt
coorain wrote:Matt, they were recently repotted, so it's possible this is them settling. I was later to repot them than I would have liked.
Yeah, this is definitely late for repotting Sarracenia and usually when they're repotted this time of the year, they don't appreciate it much and put out misshapen or very small pitchers.

Given that the others that weren't repotted are also showing some deformed traps, it wouldn't hurt to spray. I usually wait until I can confirm the presence of pests before spraying, but a preventative spray every now and then won't hurt anything as long as it isn't done with regularity (I believe pests can develop a resistance if sprayed frequently).
By Greggypoos
Hard to tell from the photos, but looks like thrips to me. Do I see scratch marks at the top of the leaf in the first photo? That is usually the first sign. They are good at hiding, so you probably won't see them.

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!