FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By JaneCP
Hello all,

The past week, my drosera binata var multifida have been producing buds and flowers. Up until this point, each flower has bloomed with a white coloration. However, one of the most recent buds is pink. I have heard that there are pink flowering variants and was wondering if this could be an expression of that. In short, could this alternate colored flower potentially produce seeds that could more likely to express pink flowers? Picture attached (standard white bud on the left, pink on the right), thanks for the help and let me know if I need to provide any additional information.
20210526_211543.jpg
20210526_211543.jpg (546.27 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
Panman liked this
By Supercazzola
Have they opened up yet? I am curious how they appear when fully opened. I would venture to say that if one stays pink and the other white, any seeds from the plant (if self pollinated) would have the potential for this trait to produce the pink.
By ChefDean
If I remember correctly, they have a very slight pink tinge to them that is dramatically more pronounced before they open due to the petals being bunched together. But, after they open and spread their wings, they appear white because the pink is very subdued.
However, you won't get seed from them unless you have two different plants, binata don't self pollinate and most are not self compatible. I believe you actually need two genetically different plants to get seed. We had a binata T-Form at one time in the seed bank that was selfable, but not any more. Maybe someone who got some could spread some seed love around if they get any.
My binata var Multifida is about to bloom, and I have stalks coming up from two different plants. They all came together as a root cluster, so I don't know if they're genetically different or not, but that won't stop me from trying.
By JaneCP
They haven't opened up yet, should be tomorrow or the next day. I'll try to get another picture when they do. I'm still learning about pollination, and I have about 8 separate flower stalks across 2 pots budding so I've been trying a few ways to pollinate them.

Also unsure if they're genetically different since they came from the same place, figure it's always worth the chance and practice. Tried a number of methods so far since there's so many buds, fine tipped paintbrush, clipping ones that bloom alone to save the pollen, and this round of flowers are currently spending quality time near bees buzzing about my holly trees. Just gonna have to decide which method to use on that pinkish one since it's unique.
By JaneCP
Here with an update, so the pinkish coloration was much less visible as ChefDean mentioned. Despite it being not as different as I initially expected, I'll still be keeping a close eye on it.
20210528_134625.jpg
20210528_134625.jpg (2.28 MiB) Viewed 2851 times
In other news, one of my oldest flowers on the plants has appeared to produce seeds! Or, I think... I cut off one of the blackened buds and appear to have shaken off a dozen or so seeds. Are drosera binata seeds only produced when properly pollenated, or is it possible they are duds?
20210530_154330.jpg
20210530_154330.jpg (449.68 KiB) Viewed 2851 times
If they look good and viable, I'd love to donate to the seedbank, but don't want to send duds that won't help people. First batch is already on a pot, so time may tell as well!
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!