FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By BugBiters
This was my first time sprouting nepenthes, so I didn't realize that nepenthes seedlings looked so drastically different from each other even as babies! The parentage on some of these is a wee bit suspect, but you can definitely tell there are a few different species, and some of the similarities between related plants is interesting.

N. veitchii and N. veitchii x (veitchii x burbidgeae) are all thin, leggy beasts
Image Image

2 different strains of N. ampullaria
ImageImage

Complex 'viking' hybrid - A lot of the lowlanders seem to look similar with their little squat shape and pronounced wings.

N. talangensis - it's a little hard to see, but these guys all have crazy long stems. I don't know if they want more light or what, but they're in the same conditions as everyone else. I had to kind of squish them all down into the moss so they wouldn't keep tipping over.

Has anyone else noticed other general trends in theirs?
Supercazzola liked this
By Frothy_Milk
Pointing it out definitely opened my eyes to pay closer attention to nepenthes seedlings.
Whenever I saw some they just all look the same to me.
Definitely want to grow from seed one day too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BugBiters liked this
By BugBiters
It has been a lot of fun, although I have more experience in what NOT to do at this point than how to be wildly successful :mrgreen: Getting fresh, local seed really does make a huge difference. Almost all of my international seeds either didn't germinate or are much much slower and weaker. I might actually write a post on my media woes at some point (some of these poor dudes have been transplanted multiple times) but the the gist is that I would not use anything but live sphagnum going forward.
Fly trap from kit questions

We purchased a fly trap kit called Bug Biting Plan[…]

Glad to hear they arrived in good shape! Hope you[…]

New member!

Welcome! I agree that Schuppenstiel is an awesome[…]

Black tips on drosera capensis

Usually no dew means it's not getting enough light[…]

Looking for unique VFT seeds

I wasn't selling them here because I don't want t[…]

It depends on the plants, how frequently it happen[…]

While I was away, the postage arrived. Thank you!

August bonus

Good morning friends. For August, we're going to […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!