FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Sundew grower
This white spot just appeared on my nepenthes tendril overnight. I have no idea what it is. Could you guys possibly tell me what it is and what I should do about it if I should do anything?
20210526_102147(0).jpg
20210526_102147(0).jpg (3.04 MiB) Viewed 3254 times
By Sundew grower
It doesn't move at all, I used a toothpick and lightly touched it and it wouldn't move.
By CPhunter101
Sundew grower wrote:It doesn't move at all, I used a toothpick and lightly touched it and it wouldn't move.
It's probably just a white spot. This sometimes happens to neps; the colors of their undeveloped pitchers become shiny/whitish.
I think this has happended before with my St. Gaya, nothing to worry about.
Sundew grower liked this
By ChefDean
Oh no, don't listen to those above, it's doomed! You should send it to me to care for it until the end. I'll take care of it and give it a dignified burial.
Seriously though, it's probably just fresh new growth, nothing to worry about.
By Frothy_Milk
I have the same situation as [mention]CPhunter101 [/mention] my St. Gaya overtime has developed white tendrils instead of the usual brown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sundew grower liked this
By Ewreck
I have a Gaya also and I’ve noticed this too figured it was nothing but good to have confirmation
By Sundew grower
Yeah me too. I killed my last nepenthes from lack of knowledge :cry: . The condition it came in didn't help either :?. So I've just been really cautious to make sure I'm doing everything right.
By Panman
Sundew grower wrote:Yeah me too. I killed my last nepenthes from lack of knowledge .
I should send you one of my dubious ventricosa basals. I've accidentally fried, frozen, desiccated, drowned, and poisoned it and it is still alive. It would probably be 10 times the size it is now if I knew what I was doing. The good news is that I now know 5 things not to do with them.
Sundew grower liked this
By Sundew grower
Panman wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:59 pm I should send you one of my dubious ventricosa basals. I've accidentally fried, frozen, desiccated, drowned, and poisoned it and it is still alive. It would probably be 10 times the size it is now if I knew what I was doing. The good news is that I now know 5 things not to do with them.
I really had no idea what to do with one, but I saw a nepenthes alata for $10 online, so I figured why not try. They said a few hours of direct sun but then indirect light the rest of the day. I thought that meant a few hours of direct sunlight outside and then shade the rest of the day. I burned it, then light starved it, and animals dug it out of its pot 6 times. So it wasn't the best life, it eventually died over winter when I had to bring it in because all our windows are either covered by porch covers or trees.
By Panman
Sounds like your experience is about the same as mine. I was always able to save at least a piece of stem and a couple of leaves that I could then root.
By Sundew grower
My last nep was pre-greenhouse though, this next one is out in the greenhouse with the sundews. The only concern I have is it getting too hot and the sun being to intense. It routinly gets <90°f out there, and that sun is pretty bright.
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!