FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By albertoburrito
I was wondering why all carnivorous plants I am aware of(flytraps, sarrs, cephalotus, drosera, pings, nepenthes, bladderworts, heliamphoria) all live in wet areas.
By Shadowtski
Not all CP live in wet areas. Drosophyllum comes to mind and a lot of Australian and South African, CP have a very dry season.
But areas with subterranean water flow, like bogs, have any nutrients leached out by the flowing water.
So any plants that can grab flying or crawling packages of protein will have an ecological advantage in such an environment.
This is just my 02¢ worth, a wild-a$$ guess.
Supercazzola, albertoburrito, elaineo and 2 others liked this
By sanguinearocks101
I have not done any research in this area but lots of the cps I can recall use a sweet smellling liquid to attract and digest insects. However, that could be a consequence of them living in an area with lots of water and using the water to their advantage, not the initial need for lots of water.
albertoburrito liked this
By steve booth
They adapted to live in environments that many other plants could not survive in, i.e. very acidic, boggy, high sunlight, nutrient-deficient soils, to avoid competition from other plants. This is why they required the carnivorous adaptation to supplement the nutrient requirements.
Cheers
Steve

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!