FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
What kind of plant are we talking about? How big is the flower stalk? How big and healthy is the plant?
In general, I would say to cut the stalk so that the plant doesn't have to deal with expending the energy to grow one as well as the stress of a repot. But I've also successfully potted up plants sent to me bare root that had flower stalks growing. It kinda depends on not only the type of plant, but your skill level with these plants should also be taken into consideration.
By Hang
ChefDean wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:39 pm What kind of plant are we talking about? How big is the flower stalk? How big and healthy is the plant?
In general, I would say to cut the stalk so that the plant doesn't have to deal with expending the energy to grow one as well as the stress of a repot. But I've also successfully potted up plants sent to me bare root that had flower stalks growing. It kinda depends on not only the type of plant, but your skill level with these plants should also be taken into consideration.
VFT Fused Tooth(5" pot), tiny tiny tiny flower head just popped up in the center
overall vft is about 4" wide, rhizome is about 1"

Last edited by Hang on Mon May 17, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Hang
fluffy123 wrote:I have a False Vivipary in my Fused Tooth Flytrap from CA Carnivores.
Sorry, what is a "false vivipary"? still pretty new to VFT's

EDIT:
AH i found it here, - false-vivipary-traps-on-a-flower-stalk-t13086.html
By ChefDean
Hang94 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:58 pmVFT Fused Tooth(5" pot), tiny tiny tiny flower head just popped up in the center
overall vft is about 4" wide, rhizome is about 1"
VFT's can handle the stress of a repot better than other plants, but not so much a flower stalk after a repot. I would suggest cutting it and trying for strikes. Cut it and put it cut side down into the media.
By Hang
ChefDean wrote: VFT's can handle the stress of a repot better than other plants, but not so much a flower stalk after a repot. I would suggest cutting it and trying for strikes. Cut it and put it cut side down into the media.

Will do :D
looks like i still have some time to wait
By Hang
I'd like to ask this question beforehand, probably still has another 1-2 weeks(or longer) to grow until i cut...over caring I guess....

I'm planning on using 100% Lfs to propagate the stalk, as after searching most say lfs is better over peat/perlite.
I tried searching the questions but no luck...

Do I stick the flower stalk right-side up? Or layed flat(does it matter?), and how deep?

Do i need any short of cover for them (clear bags)?

And finally Do i leave them in full direct sun or windowsill?

Thanks a bunch! :D
And sorry for bumping the topic 😅
By Matt
Hang94 wrote:Do I stick the flower stalk right-side up? Or layed flat(does it matter?), and how deep?
See this article:
https://www.flytrapcare.com/propagation ... fly-traps/

Scroll down to where the header "Flower Stalks" is and read on from there!
MaxVft, Hang liked this
Perlite from Ebay

yeah it does look realllly sketchy on their websit[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!