FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By SunDont
Greetings all. It looks like I'll finally be back in my office soonish. That means I'll be taking my office plants back to work with me, which got me thinking, are there any CPs I could grow in my office? I teach at a university and I like having conversation pieces in my office because in seems to increase the likelihood that students will actually come to office hours when they need help. I've got a pretty sunny window, but I'm worried about the lack of humidity. Has anyone had any success growing any CPs in an office setting? Any suggestions on what to try?
By Supercazzola
You have a pretty sunny window? What direction (N,E,S,W) does it face?
Don’t see how your office inside conditions would be any different than any other inside environment at a home for example, unless you think they might turn off the HVAC or something at the evening.
Can you describe your office environment some more? Average temps?

Besides the hassle of bringing water and possibly a humidifier and some grow lights to the office, I think any plant that would be OK inside would grow well at an office - for example some Drosera Capensis… Maybe some pings, depending on the office environment.
By SunDont
It's a southeast facing window. Temps should be in the 70s and pretty consistent day and night all year round. I don't have a good sense for the humdity, but I think it can get pretty low in the winter. But I suppose a humidifier is always an option. I was thinking of trying a Drosera Capensis and seeing how it went. I suppose it if starts dying I can always just bring it home.
By specialkayme
The humidity in my office isn't conducive to good CP growth. So I made a small terrarium. Took a cheap Amazon fishbowl, some cheap Amazon LED lights, and add a piece of plastic on the top to increase humidity (I've since replaced with a piece of acrylic) and it works wonders. I installed it in my office in December of 2019. The original N. Petiolata x Vogelii outgrew the space in about a year. Had to repot it, and replaced it with a N. Song of Melancholy x Veitchii "Pink Candy Cane". Both love it in there. And it makes a great conversation starter for everyone that comes in my office. Downside - since I keep a lid on it, everyone assumes something "crawling" is in there too. But it keeps hands out :)
Attachments:
PXL_20210423_172548062.jpg
PXL_20210423_172548062.jpg (335.21 KiB) Viewed 4509 times
IMG_20191218_203919.jpg
IMG_20191218_203919.jpg (264.98 KiB) Viewed 4509 times
SunDont liked this
By sundewd
I had a pot of sundews at work which were doing great, but when the lockdown happened over a year ago I went home and left it there... RIP sundews :lol:
SunDont liked this
By optique
whats the direct sun like in the window?
By specialkayme
sundewd wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:31 pm I had a pot of sundews at work which were doing great, but when the lockdown happened over a year ago I went home and left it there... RIP sundews :lol:
I lucked out by keeping the lid on my terrarium. I can make it a few weeks between waterings with it on, but only a few days without. I was able to call a coworker who maintained the facility to dump in some water every few weeks. The nepenthes thrived under the conditions actually.

Had I left the top off to "air it out" before lockdown happened, it'd all be dead now.
SunDont liked this
By Huntsmanshorn
Sounds like you could do tropical/subtropical Drosera, some of the Mexican Pings, and an inexpensive Nep might be worth a try backed off from the window a bit.
SunDont liked this
By SunDont
specialkayme wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:02 pm The humidity in my office isn't conducive to good CP growth. So I made a small terrarium. Took a cheap Amazon fishbowl, some cheap Amazon LED lights, and add a piece of plastic on the top to increase humidity (I've since replaced with a piece of acrylic) and it works wonders. I installed it in my office in December of 2019. The original N. Petiolata x Vogelii outgrew the space in about a year. Had to repot it, and replaced it with a N. Song of Melancholy x Veitchii "Pink Candy Cane". Both love it in there. And it makes a great conversation starter for everyone that comes in my office. Downside - since I keep a lid on it, everyone assumes something "crawling" is in there too. But it keeps hands out :)
I love this. I might try something like it.
By Adelae
My Drosera adelae is (well, ARE, it keeps making more) doing great like 3 feet away from a growlight in a windowless office, after almost dying in my south-facing apartment window when it got too hot last summer. Bit more shade tolerant than most dews and loves room temperature.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!