FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By jislife
I repotted my Tropical Pitcher plant in peat moss and vermiculate and it is not producing any new pitchers and it new leaves have a reddish color. Lat year when I bought it at Lowes it was thieving, but since repotting it in March of 2021 in hasn't been doing well. See two photos attached
Attachments:
Current photo one of plant
Current photo one of plant
plant2.jpg (225.05 KiB) Viewed 6064 times
Current photo two of plant
Current photo two of plant
plant1.jpg (191.54 KiB) Viewed 6064 times
By ChefDean
To my inexperienced eye, it actually looks pretty good, maybe a little sunburn. From what I've read, Neps tend to not like repotting, and can take many months to recover.
As long as it's still green and putting out new leaves, leave it be and just keep it moist.
By jislife
Thanks for your reply. Right now because of the sunburn I try and keep it on my back deck out of direct sun, but last year when I bought it, I had it out front in the sunshine and it had nice pitchers. Some people say keep it in the sun while others say keep it out of direct sun. Which is it?
By optique
depends on the type it is. I am going to guess it is a ventrata, they can take 3-4 hours of morning sun in my area but would be just as happy with 1. If you are keeping it on a deck that burns your feet in the sun that would also change things.

I would not repot it until it recovers but they grow best in long fiber sphagnum moss and perlite. Vermiculate will get soaked with water and that's why perlite is better.
By jislife
Thanks for the reply. The back deck just gets morning sun. The plant is in Peat & Perlite and it has a top layer sphagnum moss. I bought it at Lowes near Philadelphia, PA about a yr. ago. It just says Tropical Pitcher Plant.
By MaxVft
jislife wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:05 pm I bought it at Lowes near Philadelphia, PA about a yr. ago. It just says Tropical Pitcher Plant.
That's kinda strange...
Considering the amount of nepenthes crosses, species and cultivars, you can obviously tell the producers don't know a thing, or just don't care enough to generically mark it off as a "tropical pitcher plant". Unless,of course,there is a species called "N. Tropical Pitcher Plant" :)
Last edited by MaxVft on Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By optique
Ok if it came from lowes it is 100% ventrata. Its not happy with something. I do one more suggestion when you water it, over water so water runs out them bottom of the pot to keep the media flushed.

this is my ventrata's story
nepenthes-ventrata-from-local-garden-center-t44230.html
By jislife
I have a Lowes picture plant with two shoots. I am wonder if I should split & repot in 3 separate pots.
I have had the plant 3 summers now and I am wondering how big this plant will get. I had to use popsicle sticks to keep the mother plant upright. I need some advice. The plant doesn't seem to like to much sun or the hot summer weather. I believe next summer I will keep it under a tree. Can anyone provide me some advice. Thanks
Attachments:
Lowes picture plant with 2 new shoots photo 3
Lowes picture plant with 2 new shoots photo 3
plant4.jpeg (646.78 KiB) Viewed 2518 times
Lowes picture plant with 2 new shoots photo 4
Lowes picture plant with 2 new shoots photo 4
plant3.jpeg (832.03 KiB) Viewed 2518 times
By Bluefire
How big it gets? As big as you let it get. If you want to split or repot that's up to you. You can cut the mother plant or the shoots off and stick those in moist Sphagnum moss and maybe you'll get a new plant.
Sundews69 liked this
Drosera germination time

I got the burmannii seeds a bit before you did, an[…]

Update: I backed off on the watering frequency and[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!