FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By michijake
Hi all, I'm excited to join yet another group of plant people! I've been growing CPs for about 10 years although there have definitely been "off" periods during that time since I've been moving around a lot. I plan on posting my grow list soon, but this spring is the first time in years I've been able to grow plants outside, so... my collection is definitely growing. Butterworts are probably my favorite genus although the spring weather and outside access has me addicted to temperate sundews and sarracenia at the moment.

I'm located in Northern Virginia, which I am convinced would be CP heaven if only our soil wasn't solid clay. Oh well, I'm getting pretty good at creating mini bogs in my backyard (including one in an old pedestal sink!) and they do seem to love the weather here. This season I successfully overwintered an S. 'Judith Hindle,' an S. x 'Yellow Jacket,' and two VFTs sitting on my back porch. Oddly I also lost one VFT that was sitting in the same tray as one that survived, and was likely a clone of it since they were both Home Depot rescues. Oh well.

Currently I'm focused on building some cages for my mini bogs since a squirrel or chipmunk has been digging up some of VFTs (argh). I'll post some pics when they're done in case that's helpful to others.

Looking forward to chatting!
SunDont liked this
By michijake
Thanks to Panman and Matt for the welcome! Here are some photos of my bogs, which I have yet to figure out how to photograph well. The plants are still settling in and are just starting to take off as the weather finally gets settled here.

IMG_0541.jpeg
IMG_0541.jpeg (2.93 MiB) Viewed 3115 times
IMG_0542.jpeg
IMG_0542.jpeg (4.87 MiB) Viewed 3115 times
IMG_0544.jpeg
IMG_0544.jpeg (4.39 MiB) Viewed 3115 times
IMG_0545.jpeg
IMG_0545.jpeg (3.6 MiB) Viewed 3115 times
IMG_0550.jpeg
IMG_0550.jpeg (3.23 MiB) Viewed 3115 times
By Lain
Welcome! I am so in love with your plant set up. Especially that sink one! I don't have any outdoor growth yet we fed some feral cats and apparently they decided our yard was their yard and one of them is munching on every plant we have outdoors, lol.

Well that and I unfortunately have not been able to even keep drosera capensis alive so far but with all the help I've gotten here I hope my next go will be sucessful. All those bogs you've made are gonna be so full soon!
By michijake
Thanks! I hope you're able to get some plants going, it's so satisfying. I didn't realize until recently how plant-hungry cats can get, but I'm sure you'll figure out a solution. Good luck!
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!