FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By owlfeathers
Yesterday I repotted two death cube VFTs into two flimsy black plastic pots that some Gerbera daisies came in. (Don't worry, I washed them out.) I'm also using LFSM with a bit of peat in the bottom.

I was just reading about how uninsulated black pots aren't the best idea, especially with LFSM. But I don't really have any other appropriately sized pots at the moment, let alone insulated ones.

So I'm wondering about some potential solutions, at least temporarily before the plants acclimate to full sunlight and it starts getting really hot out. Silver/reflective duct tape around the outside, maybe?

And one more thing, should I avoid re-repotting them anytime soon? Or should I transplant them (along with the media) as soon as I get appropriate new pots?
Attachments:
IMG_20210514_162428.jpg
IMG_20210514_162428.jpg (5.84 MiB) Viewed 3310 times
Greenthumbs Garden liked this
By CPhunter101
owlfeathers wrote:I was just reading about how uninsulated black pots aren't the best idea, especially with LFSM.
Never heard about this before, black pots are fine in my opinion (no "insulation" needed, black pots actually heat up a bit in the sun). I use square pots very similar to yours, they work very well (no reflective tape needed either).
owlfeathers wrote:And one more thing, should I avoid re-repotting them anytime soon?
Your flytraps are completely fine with the pots they're in, please try not to stress them out with any more repotting.
Besides that, I'd say that you did a fantastic job repotting your plants. :)
By Greenthumbs Garden
I love those plastic black square pots but I found for me, in summer they heat up something rotten. Winter is fine but our summers are very brutal and I lost a few plants last year because they basically cooked in the media. One Way I got around it was wrapping aluminium kitchen foil around the pot to reflect as much light as possible. It all depends on where you live and how hot it can get. Like I said, in winter it's no issue at all, but once it's getting up into the 30s then 40s it spelled trouble for me, my flytraps did not perform well or died. I tested the soil with a meat probe thermometer and the temps were very high 37+ .
Matt, MikeB, Supercazzola liked this
By owlfeathers
It does get pretty hot and humid here in the summer, easily up to 90° F (32° C) at like 60-70% humidity. I'll try to keep an eye on the temperature of the media. I'm going to try to get my hands on some different pots though and just transplant the whole media plugs with the plants. Thanks for the advice :mrgreen:
By MikeB
I've seen people grow their plants in large styrofoam cups. The white color reflects the sun, and the foam provides insulation. I'm not sure how long the cups would last when exposed to the sun, but it's worth a try.
By Panman
For what it's worth, I've been growing mine in black pots and haven't noticed a problem. The pots are packed tightly in the water trays so there is minimal pot area exposed directly to the sun, so that may help.
By ChefDean
If you're concerned, two words; white spray paint. Wait, whitespray paint. That doesn't look right, white spraypaint.
Dang!
Three words; white spray paint.
Gently slip the entire plug of moss out of each pot, dry the pots, two or three light coats of white spray paint on the exterior, and repot. Your plants should be OK, the paint will dry quickly, you could even do four or five light coats if you want. The paint shouldn't do anything to the water quality, and you're good to rock and/or roll.
Panman liked this
By ChefDean
Panman wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:39 pm Simplifying Dean's idea, paint an empty pot then slip thee plant from one pot to the other. Paint the now empty pot and repeat.
That could work too.
By Greenthumbs Garden
Panman wrote:For what it's worth, I've been growing mine in black pots and haven't noticed a problem. The pots are packed tightly in the water trays so there is minimal pot area exposed directly to the sun, so that may help.
That's because you live in zone 7 bro... :lol: :lol: Zone 10 is merciless.
ChefDean liked this
By optique
I use 100% recycled pots for my out door plants, and i try to use lighter colors to avoid heat. I have used black and i have experimented with how to minimize any heat issues. My best advice is to fill the pots 100% with media to act as a heat sink and stop the lip of the pot from reaching plant burning temps. Also avoid back pots with large lips the media cant touch.

I am not sure if lip is the correct term, so this is what i mean.
By Big-Jack
Last year I killed and severely stunted some of my plants that were in black pots when the temps went to 95 with bright sunlight. The ones in the white pots were fine.

A meat thermometer showed a 5-10 degree media temp difference between black and white pots when the sun was hitting the side of the pots which apparently was enough to push the black pot plants beyond their heat tolerance level. At 100+ with bright sunlight you want to get everything in the shade.
By Supercazzola
ChefDean wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:40 pm
Panman wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:39 pm Simplifying Dean's idea, paint an empty pot then slip thee plant from one pot to the other. Paint the now empty pot and repeat.
That could work too.
Could they just paint a spare pot and slip the black one inside the white one to avoid any disturbance to the roots ?
By ChefDean
That could definitely work, but now you're using two pots for one plant. If you're like me, you'll eventually need that other pot.
By Greenthumbs Garden

This is what I did to a few of my square pots and helped a lot. Most I replanted in polystyrene cups which so far have been the best for insulating the roots from the hot weather, or a nice hard white plastic second to that.
MikeB liked this
worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!