FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By 22350
Thanks for the add to the forums.

I have a flytrap "Harvey Weinstein" He is about 4 years old. It was a grouping of three plants.

Harvey has been getting smaller and smaller over the last year. One of the three plants died. Roots looked rotted, so I cut down on water.

Then I mistakenly left the terrarium in the window in direct sunlight too long and burnt one of the plants.

I am concerned that if I don't start taking care of this properly, it will die. While I still had traps, I had started feeding it with bloodworms. Now there are no traps that are big enough.

Any advice to revitalize Harvey would be appreciated. I think that I have been doing it wrong for quite a while.
Attachments:
IMG_2634.jpg
IMG_2634.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 1625 times
IMG_2633.jpg
IMG_2633.jpg (2.04 MiB) Viewed 1625 times
By ChefDean
To start out, terrarium and windowsill almost always equal certain, slow, agonizing death for Flytraps. I would suggest that you repot them into a peat perlite mix or LFSM, then put them outside where they get good, direct morning sun, and shade for the afternoon and evening.
They will go downhill for a tick, but the better environment outside will be what they need, and they'll come around to their former glory, probably even better.
They'll receive much better light outside on a cloudy day than they will on a sunny windowsill.
MaxVft, steve booth liked this
By Panman
4 years indoors and declining makes me think they you have gone without dormancy. While that is possible, it requires very specific care. Likely the plant is just exhausted. Follow ChefDean's advice and get it outdoors. This winter give it a good dormancy rest and you will see a different plant next spring.
steve booth, 22350, ChefDean liked this
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!