FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Flamincookie
Well i found my old hamster cage and thought it would be a perfect terrarium setup.

Well is it?

It has lots of vent holes, and 2 side holes. And the front and the pack slide up to open. PICTURES:

Front.

Top pic with vent holes

The front and the back slide up

So would this be a good germination tank? Or a general terrarium for my plants?
Last edited by Flamincookie on Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Flamincookie
Matt wrote:That would make a great germination container, especially since you can open it to let it vent if it gets too warm. I wouldn't recommend using it for growing adult plants though.
What about small seedlings?
By kittyklaws
Wow! very cool! Yea, I'm sure it would make a warm and cozy seed germinator lol with lots of ventilation! :lol:
but I don't know about seedlings, probably? what about drainage?
By Matt
In most cases, once seeds germinate, the seedlings don't need the elevated humidity. It will typically cause mold and fungal problems for the babies rather than provide them with any advantage. Most CPs grow very well at relatively low humidity levels, even when they're tiny. I try to recommend that people stay away from using terrariums at all costs. Essentially the only time that elevated humidity helps is for the 2 to 4 weeks that you're trying to germinate seeds (amount of time depends on species) after that, you're better off growing them in the open air.
By Flamincookie
Matt wrote:In most cases, once seeds germinate, the seedlings don't need the elevated humidity. It will typically cause mold and fungal problems for the babies rather than provide them with any advantage. Most CPs grow very well at relatively low humidity levels, even when they're tiny. I try to recommend that people stay away from using terrariums at all costs. Essentially the only time that elevated humidity helps is for the 2 to 4 weeks that you're trying to germinate seeds (amount of time depends on species) after that, you're better off growing them in the open air.
Okay, thanks matt.
By lemonlily
Habitrail?

LOLOLOLOL

That seems nice. Good use of it.
By The Mighty Thor
Matt wrote:In most cases, once seeds germinate, the seedlings don't need the elevated humidity. It will typically cause mold and fungal problems for the babies rather than provide them with any advantage. Most CPs grow very well at relatively low humidity levels, even when they're tiny. I try to recommend that people stay away from using terrariums at all costs. Essentially the only time that elevated humidity helps is for the 2 to 4 weeks that you're trying to germinate seeds (amount of time depends on species) after that, you're better off growing them in the open air.
Wow this post makes me wonder if all of those venus flytraps that I bought from Meijer actually died from being couped up in their humidity domes for so long... :?
What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!