FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Ewreck
Is this normal coloring or did I burn it a little? This Judith hindle is my first sarr and I was a little worried I burnt the hood a little and I have only had it a week now should I be seeing nectar around the peristome?
Attachments:
CD6CF0E2-147D-4D57-8D17-FB231CCEFC51.jpeg
CD6CF0E2-147D-4D57-8D17-FB231CCEFC51.jpeg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 2266 times
By optique
I was looking at my Judith hindle's today, they are starting to get hot pink. I keep mine in full sun outdoors. I am guessing yours is inside the house? If you do move it outside slowly go up on the hours of light so you don't burn current growth.
By Supercazzola
I’ve often wondered if it is just better to throw them out in the conditions they will be in and let the new growth come up in what it will get versus phasing it in. I live in sunny hot Florida so it’s hard to find a place that is going to allow me to phase them in.

To Ewreck, it may just be getting used to its new location. Give it some time
By Ewreck
I have just started putting it in morning sun and then I bring it inside where I have a big sky light in my kitchen.
By optique
I took this when i let the dog out just now, i didn't notice it wasn't in focus but you can still see the colors. I have seen side by side comparisons of sarr's grown outside and in the window they don't look like the same plants.
Supercazzola liked this
By steve booth
Ewreck wrote:Is this normal coloring or did I burn it a little? This Judith hindle is my first sarr and I was a little worried I burnt the hood a little and I have only had it a week now should I be seeing nectar around the peristome?
Hi Ewreck
It doesn't look like much of a 'Judith Hindle' at the moment does it, and yes there could be burn on the peristome but nothing to worry about.
Presumably, you got it bare-rooted and have potted it up? if so the plant will need to get over the repot shock and being acclimated to outside conditions before you get nectar.
I wouldn't bother bringing it in at night, if you are worried put it in the shade after putting it in the morning sun, get it used to the wind and rain as the roots will need to increase in size to accommodate the increased transpiration rates experienced outside.
Give it another fortnight and you will see a difference.

Cheers
Steve
Supercazzola liked this

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!