FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By That one plant boi
Note to self: do not give small purpureas osmocote pellets.

I tried this some weeks ago and gave one of my small purpureas a single osmocote pellet, filled the pitcher with water, and let it do its thing.

So over the course of the next twenty four hours, the pitcher proceeded to turn brown, and so did the rest of the plant. It basically atomized itself, and now I'm left with two purpureas.

Moral of the story: be careful when feeding strong fertilizers to your purpureas, or else your lovely plant may just cease to exist.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk, please enjoy the rest of your night.

Also, happy mothers day to all the plant (and human) mothers out there!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Panman liked this
By optique
I can vouch for tetra "bettamin pellets". If they sold fresh water shrimp meal nothing added for fish color or health marked for CP's It would sell.
By CPhunter101
My tiny purpurea venosa (4 months after purchasing) made it out alive when I fed it an ozmocote pellet like you did.
I think mine survived since I kept it constantly fed (high nitrogen levels). It got used to the feeding so it wasn't affected as much by the pellet. I still lost a pitcher though. Regular feeding (aproximately 2-3 pillbugs a month) can really give sarrs a boost and resistance to fertilizer pellets.
I recommend you to try feeding more often so that you can use the pellets without worrying about side effects.
By murrkywaters
Interesting! I don't have any pure purps, but I do have some crosses. They seem to handle osmocote ok. I usually rinse them on boiling water first. The pitcher will die eventually, but I usually get a few more out of the process. I wonder if it's just a purp issue. How small was the plant?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

By That one plant boi
murrkywaters wrote:Interesting! I don't have any pure purps, but I do have some crosses. They seem to handle osmocote ok. I usually rinse them on boiling water first. The pitcher will die eventually, but I usually get a few more out of the process. I wonder if it's just a purp issue. How small was the plant?

Not very large. None of the pitchers are even as big as my thumb yet, though they're starting to put on some size finally.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By murrkywaters
Ok, I've been doing this at first with just my 'love bug' but now with my 'fat chance' 'Carolina yellow jacket' and the unknown one that looks an awful lot like a 'golden eagle' all have multiple growth points.

By twitcher
I would speculate that osmocote, as well as similar slow release foods, are available in different formulas and concentrations. If that is the case, then the experienced stated needs to be clarified with formula information for better relevance.
By murrkywaters
The osmocote I use is the fairly standard pink top 15:9:12 osmocote plus

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!