FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
I'm going to be leaving town for a week. I have someone that can water my plants by my question is, if I sit the flytraps in 2 inches of water (the depth of a 1020) for a week, so I run the risk of root rot? It will be July so the sun will be really intense.
By MikeB
How tall are the pots? I want to know how far the rhizomes will be sitting above the water level.

Usually this much water won't bother them during the height of summer. It's like the plants got hit by a heavy thunderstorm (or a hurricane blew through), and the boatload of water is taking a while to drain away.
By MikeB
They should be fine. Unless it rains while you're away, all of that water should be gone in a week, and the plants will be just damp when you get home.
By optique
Panman I have 3 sets of drilled drain holes, i plug the lowest if i go out of town. When i am in town i let the water drop all the way down before i over fill. I have never has a issue with any plant in peat/perlite doing this. The 3rd drain is a safety so water can never rise up to the crowns.

When the east coast get hit by a hurricane it has to much worse then what i do.
By Kevonicus
They should be fine, in full sun I would rather my VTF's be too wet then dry up before I get home. For a week trip I'd set them in water trays and soak them, if the forecast is looking mostly cloudy maybe id raise them up an inch so the peat isn't completely boggy
By Supercazzola
optique wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:31 pm Panman I have 3 sets of drilled drain holes, i plug the lowest if i go out of town. When i am in town i let the water drop all the way down before i over fill. I have never has a issue with any plant in peat/perlite doing this. The 3rd drain is a safety so water can never rise up to the crowns.

When the east coast get hit by a hurricane it has to much worse then what i do.
What do you use for holes and plugs? Meaning, is there a drill bit you use and certain rubber plug?

Also I assume @panman uses LFSM for his VFT.
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as w[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!