FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Ewreck
This is my typical from Home Depot. I have had it for a month today. I am wondering tho about the size of my new leaves. The traps are smaller than the one it came with and the petioles are only about a inch long. Is this just the size they are supposed to be now that it is pretty much acclimated ? I figured the long petioles were from lack of light but at the same time the traps on the longer ones are way darker red than any of my new ones which I thought meant they were getting enough. Overall I think it seems healthy tho and is even dividing. But is the new trap size because it’s outgrowing the pot or it’s just getting sufficient light?
Attachments:
9BDA9C80-6D42-406D-AE52-24C2BFD23A16.jpeg
9BDA9C80-6D42-406D-AE52-24C2BFD23A16.jpeg (2.64 MiB) Viewed 1120 times
By Benny
Welcome to the forum!

I would not worry too much about the length of the petioles. They look like they are okay and will perk up more if cared for well enough. The plant can, however, do with some more sunlight.

You should probably change the soil. That looks like pure peat moss sludge (like half decomposed).

The watering looks off. It looks way too waterlogged. Bring the water all the way down to half an inch - an inch of water in the tray if you can. The most ideal would be no water in the tray and keep the soil moist 24/7. Make sure you use distilled or reverse osmosis water. (Most) regular tap water will burn the plant.

As for pot size, it should be okay for now. It is a bit difficult to tell the dimensions of the pot, but it isn't unreasonably small. It just wouldn't hurt to plant it into a larger pot.

If you have any more questions, ask away! :D
By Ewreck
Ok thx I’ve been overwatering it then. I’ve read so many dam guides and book and they all say something a little different lol I was hoping the shorter petioles meant it was getting enough sunlight. The real long ones were the ones it had when I bought it.
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!