FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By El Trap-o
This plant's new growth looks quite emaciated but it has been consistently trying to put out new growth and it usually just blackens from the top and dies back, I've looked for aphids or spider mites but I'm not really seeing any. Can anyone tell what's going on from photos? I can post more/closer-up if needed.

Thanks all. :)
Attachments:
pinn4.jpg
pinn4.jpg (339.2 KiB) Viewed 3055 times
pinn3.jpg
pinn3.jpg (236.12 KiB) Viewed 3055 times
pinn2.jpg
pinn2.jpg (364.19 KiB) Viewed 3055 times
pinn1.jpg
pinn1.jpg (140.1 KiB) Viewed 3055 times
By Matt
You have red spider mites. You'll need to treat ASAP because they look like they've already gotten pretty established and taken quite a toll on the health of the plant. A dedicated miticide works best (I prefer Avid and TetraSan) but people are also reporting success with Bio Advanced 3-in-1 product.
El Trap-o, MikeB liked this
By El Trap-o
Thank you, Matt, for replying so quickly and for your answer. I separated the plant from the others, thankfully it was pretty isolated so hopefully they weren't able to get onto any other plants. I'll get some BioAdvanced 3-in-1 ASAP and report back. I hope the plant can recover from this! :(
By MikeB
El Trap-o wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:12 pmI'll get some BioAdvanced 3-in-1 ASAP and report back. I hope the plant can recover from this! :(
Be sure to check the label. The ready-to-use mix doesn't seem to be very common. It's usually the concentrate that you have to dilute before use.
El Trap-o liked this
By El Trap-o
MikeB wrote:
El Trap-o wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:12 pmI'll get some BioAdvanced 3-in-1 ASAP and report back. I hope the plant can recover from this! :(
Be sure to check the label. The ready-to-use mix doesn't seem to be very common. It's usually the concentrate that you have to dilute before use.
Got it, thank you!
I was going to go with this: https://www.amazon.com/BioAdvanced-7012 ... B000RUJZS6
By Big-Jack
That is a serious infestation. Mites are very tiny but suck the lifeblood out of your plant in a hurry. Been there, done that. At least now you now know the telltale signs. In the future give your plants a little spritz of 3in1 now and then in the evening as a preventative. The plant will absorb it in its tissue and make itself toxic to pests.
El Trap-o liked this
By El Trap-o
Thank you all for your assistance with my problem, it's greatly appreciated and the collective knowledge of this forum has enabled my plants to survive and thrive. Unfortunately I've discovered that many other plants in my collection have spider mites as well, so to be safe I'll be spraying all of them.

Someone in my family picked up some BioAdvanced 3-in-1 but only the kind you affix to a garden hose, would this be acceptable for a few applications every few weeks and not harm the overall health of the plants? The PPM score of my hose water is 261.

If it's not, then I do have a bottle of 3-in-1 with the sprayer on the way, but it probably won't be here for a few more days.
By ChefDean
Does the hose-end one have a label or gauge that gives the dilution rate? If so, we could probably figure out a ratio of solution to water so you can use what you have.
If not, a single, light application to get things started with 261 ppm water probably wouldn't do any harm as long as you get back to 50 ppm or less for regular watering. Then you can use the sprayer stuff you have coming.
El Trap-o liked this
By Matt
If it turns out the 3-in-1 doesn't get rid of the mites, you might need to use a dedicated miticide and we do offer them on FlytrapStore in small quantities here:
https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/other ... ous-plants

Avid is our preferred miticide:
https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/avid-miticide
El Trap-o liked this
By El Trap-o
I sprayed them with the hose-attached 3-in-1 once yesterday, but I may have sprayed a little too much still since some of the plants seem to be having an adverse reaction, though I'm unsure if its just tissue damage from the mite infestation or possible mineral burn, I've given them all a flushing/watering with distilled since then.

I checked today and my La Grosse A Guigui's leaves were turning kind of a black color. It should be another two days before I get the proper 3-in-1. If that doesn't work, I'll certainly see about getting some Avid from your store Matt, thank you. :)
Attachments:
la.jpg
la.jpg (155.66 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
la2.jpg
la2.jpg (313.63 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
la3.jpg
la3.jpg (311.43 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
la4.jpg
la4.jpg (318.82 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
la5.jpg
la5.jpg (220.11 KiB) Viewed 2722 times
By Matt
El Trap-o wrote:I'll certainly see about getting some Avid from your store Matt, thank you.
No problem! It does look like your Pinnacle is burning a bit but the rhizome and roots still look healthy so if the trauma is just on the leaves and traps it should recover just fine.
El Trap-o liked this
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!