FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

User avatar
By That one plant boi
Posts:  607
Joined:  Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:34 pm
#380063
Hey!
So I've had this little purpurea for a few years now, and it has remained pretty small the entire time, only now seeming to put out slightly larger pitchers. It's also green without many other colors aside from faint purple streaks inside the pitcher. I actually won it in the first giveaway I entered on this forum, so the little guy is kinda special to me.

Can anybody identify the cultivator though? And will it get larger, or will it remain a small boy forever? Yellowjacket maybe?

Thanks!
ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User avatar
By That one plant boi
Posts:  607
Joined:  Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:34 pm
#380068
Herbz187 wrote:Looks like a purp purp to me
Really? I thought normal purps were actually purple at this size.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
User avatar
By ChefDean
Location: 
Posts:  3304
Joined:  Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:44 am
#380088
My purp purp.
20210505_165906.jpg
20210505_165906.jpg (4.31 MiB) Viewed 1238 times
Big pitchers from last year have a lot of red, but still a fair amount of green. The new pitchers are fully green. The one hiding behind the flower stalk is about four inches.
However, my purp var venosa is fully green with a little color on the edges of the lid.
20210505_170340.jpg
20210505_170340.jpg (4.71 MiB) Viewed 1233 times
Maybe yours is a venosa.
CPhunter101 liked this
User avatar
By CPhunter101
Location: 
Posts:  180
Joined:  Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:30 pm
#380089
I have one just like that! :D
It was sold to me as purpurea var. venosa. Strange thing is, I got 2 different plants in a single pot. One of them was definitetly purpurea var venosa, but the other one was like yours. I wanted to say that through some intense feeding sessions with pillbugs, I got my purpurea to the size of yours in a few weeks. It's currently putting out even larger pitchers! If you feed sarrs, they get dramatically larger.
User avatar
By Shadowtski
Location: 
Posts:  4239
Joined:  Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:19 am
#380091
Xanthoparmelia did a purp giveaway a few years ago, was that it?

Quoting Xanthoparmelia, "Up for grabs first is this adorable little S. Purpurea, veinless recessive.

This is a Jerry Addington cross of purp "300" x purp "S-1." If you self this plant, roughly 25% of the progeny should express the veinless phenotype.
"

Here's a link to his original giveaway post: sarracenia-giveaway-1-t40713.html
By Herbz187
Posts:  196
Joined:  Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:17 am
#380092
Purps in general color up red on cold temp

Purp purp vs venosa is more hairy still hard to tell

Maybe this helpsImage

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

By Herbz187
Posts:  196
Joined:  Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:17 am
#380093
Shadowtski wrote:Xanthoparmelia did a purp giveaway a few years ago, was that it?

Quoting Xanthoparmelia, "Up for grabs first is this adorable little S. Purpurea, veinless recessive.

This is a Jerry Addington cross of purp "300" x purp "S-1." If you self this plant, roughly 25% of the progeny should express the veinless phenotype.
"

Here's a link to his original giveaway post: sarracenia-giveaway-1-t40713.html
Aah

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

User avatar
By That one plant boi
Posts:  607
Joined:  Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:34 pm
#380094
Shadowtski wrote:Xanthoparmelia did a purp giveaway a few years ago, was that it?

Quoting Xanthoparmelia, "Up for grabs first is this adorable little S. Purpurea, veinless recessive.

This is a Jerry Addington cross of purp "300" x purp "S-1." If you self this plant, roughly 25% of the progeny should express the veinless phenotype.
"

Here's a link to his original giveaway post: sarracenia-giveaway-1-t40713.html
Yep, that was it, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User avatar
By murrkywaters
Posts:  638
Joined:  Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:39 pm
#380120
Herbz187 wrote:Purps in general color up red on cold temp

Purp purp vs venosa is more hairy still hard to tell

Maybe this helpsImage

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
What book is that?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

By Herbz187
Posts:  196
Joined:  Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:17 am
#380145
murrkywaters wrote:
Herbz187 wrote:Purps in general color up red on cold temp

Purp purp vs venosa is more hairy still hard to tell

Maybe this helpsImage

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
What book is that?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Dont remember name maybe sarracenia of the world not my book a friend send me a pic of purps part

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Hi from NC

Hi Chris and welcome to the forums!

My nepenthes pitchers came out wierd

You telling me the pitchers can get bigger?

Hello from NJ

Glad to be here. I have been growing VFTs, drosera[…]

When is the next intervention? Never heard of[…]

eBay sellers

Here are a few more reputable sellers for your lis[…]

Carnivorous uhaul

In a similar vein: I'm hoping that the NC DOT rele[…]

Hang94's Grow List

Attachment limit reached

Drosera seeds giveaway!

Yay! Thank you! Something to go in my new pot. Sen[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!