FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Kisanath
Well, my name is Kisanath and I live in North Carolina, USA. I recently ordered a VFT from Amazon and received it a couple of weeks ago. I did do research on the plants, but I'm still a little unsure of what to do. Mine hasn't died (yet), and it really doesn't look all that bad, either, but the traps are very droopy. It isn't all that big, so I think that might have something to do with it, but are the traps supposed to hang out of the pot?

Also, need to re-pot it. Should I do it now, or wait until next spring or some other time? And, how big of a pot should they be in compared to the size of the plant? Should the soil be all peat moss or just the top?

...This is kind of off-topic, but does anyone else name their VFTs? I named mine Zim. ^-^

Thanks, this is a very helpful site.

~Kisanath
By WORMSS
Hello and welcome, Mine are all droopy so don't worry, Check out my pictures in the introduction thread.

We have Koy who has named his Sir Charles.

It doesn't HAVE to be peat moss but people recommend it with a mixture of perlite.
And ALL of the pot. :D also make sure the it is a plastic pot if possible, around 4 inchs :D
By Carl
Hi and welcome to the forum. I always re-pot late winter just before Spring when the plants are still in there dormant period. This way you can 'abuse' the plant without it being set back. I find any other time the growth as been interrupted and take much long to pick up from potting. As for size I us 9cm square PLASTIC pots and only sphagnum moss peat with perlite.

Carl
By Kisanath
Ok! Thanks both of you. ^-^
By Matt
Welcome to the forum!
Kisanath wrote:are the traps supposed to hang out of the pot?
It won't hurt anything. I have a few plants that I am growing in 2 inch pots and their traps hang over the edge of the pots.
Kisanath wrote:Also, need to re-pot it. Should I do it now, or wait until next spring or some other time?
I, like Carl, try to only repot in the late winter or early spring before the plants start coming out of dormancy. February or March are good months for this. However, I too bought some VFTs about this time last year and I repotted them immediately. It will set them back for a bit (a few days), but you should start noticing new growth almost immediately after that.
Kisanath wrote:And, how big of a pot should they be in compared to the size of the plant? Should the soil be all peat moss or just the top?
You can use pretty much any sized container that you wish, but most growers use 4 inch square pots. Just be sure to use a plastic pot. If you use a clay pot, minerals from the clay can seep into the soil and poison the plant. When you do repot, you should use all peat moss or a mixture of peat moss and perlite. I am guessing when you say "all peat moss or just the top" you are meaning long fibered sphagnum moss? Many growers use LFSM to dress the top of their pots to prevent the peat moss and perlite from splashing up onto the plant when it rains.

Hope this helps. Feel free to post with any more questions!
By Kisanath
Thank you, Matt, that helps a lot. Recently my friend also got a VFT and she didn't read anything about them, so now I'm trying to teach her how to take care of them, or trying to at least. ^-^ So she might come too.

I had another question, but...I forgot it .-. When I remember I'll post it. :roll:
By Kisanath
Thanks! ^-^

I'm probably going to take a picture of my VFT when I repot it. Its already got a few new traps coming up. (Thankfully they're growing up!! ^-^)

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!