FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By pandaking666
as the title says my vft flowered then turned all black. idk what happened. i thought it was doing well because it was growing new leaves.
By Panman
A picture would help to identify the problem. Often flytraps will throw out a flower stalk when they are in the verge of death in an attempt to reproduce.
By pandaking666
Panman wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:12 am A picture would help to identify the problem. Often flytraps will throw out a flower stalk when they are in the verge of death in an attempt to reproduce.
Here's the before and after
By Panman
Much too much wet. It should be constantly Dano but not wet. You need to dig t up and make sure the rhizome is not rooting. Cut off anything that is brown and mushy and replant it in fresh medium.
By optique
if you put most plants in sphagnum you will need to let the pot drain, i only keep peat/perlite in a water trey.
By Panman
When you repotted it did you look at the rhizome? Was it white and firm or brown and mushy? I really don't like the way the base of the leaf is brown.
By ChefDean
From the looks of it, it appears that some rot was setting in, and the plant put up a flower in an attempt at reproduction. The media it was in, the LFSM, was fine, but the plant was nestled a bit deep and was too wet. You said it had just been raining the past couple of days, so that part could be misleading in the pic.
In the repot, it looks like it wasn't planted deep enough and kept too dry. After a repot, these plants need just a bit more water to help the roots settle in for about a week or two.
If there's still green, you still have a chance. Nestle it down until the crown (the central part where the new leaves emerge) is even with the surface of the media, but not squished in. Let it spread its wings a bit. Keep the media moist. Just as the surface of the media just about dries out, gently top water until water begins to come out the bottom. Leave it sitting in that tray of water, it will be absorbed or it will dry up.
You may still lose the plant, we all have lost plants, but you'll have gained a bit of personal experience from it.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!