FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By chomato
Hey all, a couple of months ago I purchased a P gigantea from one of the members here, thanks again, btw, but while it seems to be okay, it actually shrunk in size from when I first received it to now. I've read that gigantea has pseudo succulent phase, but could this be the reason why it shrunk?

I've read that pings can benefit with some calcium, has anyone tried finely crushed eggshells?

I forgot the exact ratio on the media, but it's just peat-perlite with perlite being the greater amount. It is also on a south-facing windowsill, though it doesn't get much direct light because of the way my complex is built. I'm in the northern hemisphere zone 9a-b if it matters.
20210421_165715.jpg
20210421_165715.jpg (72.17 KiB) Viewed 6390 times
By optique
I have had one for over a year now. I grow it in 66% perlite 33% peat in a shallow trey of water in a west facing window. It seems happy and i have even fed it small amounts of tetra "bettamin" pellets made into a paste with no bad effects. Not sure if this helps you but that what i do with mine.
By madrone
Pings are generally very amenable to the lazy care that I provide - all mineral media (turface), sitting in a water tray that I refill before (or sometimes after) it dries out.

P. gigantea is one of the very few pings that tell me those conditions are not good enough. And I always admire the dinner-plate sized examples I see (here and elsewhere), because I have had mine for several years, and 3-4" max is what I've achieved.

So, unfortunately, this isn't much 'help', but maybe commiseration. And I'll be attentive here to see what tips you receive. I've heard that they prefer more constant moisture, and I've attempted to provide temperature / day-length conditions that don't provoke dormancy since that doesn't seem to be something they're inclined to do. Although my original plant is no champ, I have managed to start some leaf pullings, so may try a couple different media/conditions, and let you know what (if anything) leads to more robust plants.
By Huntsmanshorn
chomato wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:33 pm Hey all, a couple of months ago I purchased a P gigantea from one of the members here, thanks again, btw, but while it seems to be okay, it actually shrunk in size from when I first received it to now. I've read that gigantea has pseudo succulent phase, but could this be the reason why it shrunk?
Yes, that is what happened.
chomato wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:33 pmI've read that pings can benefit with some calcium, has anyone tried finely crushed eggshells?
Heard good things about this but it doesn't really seem to matter one way or the other, at least not for me.
chomato wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:33 pmI forgot the exact ratio on the media, but it's just peat-perlite with perlite being the greater amount. It is also on a south-facing windowsill, though it doesn't get much direct light because of the way my complex is built. I'm in the northern hemisphere zone 9a-b if it matters.20210421_165715.jpg
That sounds fine, they don't really need a whole lot of light, compared to most other carnivores anyway, and your plant looks okay to me. If you want your plant to grow big relatively fast then fertilizer is the way to go. Unfortunately, it will cause moss to grow along with your Ping which I find to be a real pain in the butt.
By chomato
optique wrote:I have had one for over a year now. I grow it in 66% perlite 33% peat in a shallow trey of water in a west facing window. It seems happy and i have even fed it small amounts of tetra "bettamin" pellets made into a paste with no bad effects. Not sure if this helps you but that what i do with mine.
Thanks! I actually feed my pings with freeze dried bloodworms. I'm not liking too much the dried carcass on the leaves after a while, but my emarginata has been steadily flowering and putting out leaves almost nonstop. Hopefully my gigantea catches up so I can feed it more, less often
By chomato
madrone wrote:Pings are generally very amenable to the lazy care that I provide - all mineral media (turface), sitting in a water tray that I refill before (or sometimes after) it dries out.

P. gigantea is one of the very few pings that tell me those conditions are not good enough. And I always admire the dinner-plate sized examples I see (here and elsewhere), because I have had mine for several years, and 3-4" max is what I've achieved.

So, unfortunately, this isn't much 'help', but maybe commiseration. And I'll be attentive here to see what tips you receive. I've heard that they prefer more constant moisture, and I've attempted to provide temperature / day-length conditions that don't provoke dormancy since that doesn't seem to be something they're inclined to do. Although my original plant is no champ, I have managed to start some leaf pullings, so may try a couple different media/conditions, and let you know what (if anything) leads to more robust plants.
Awesome, and please do let me know if you notice anything different with your other pullings. I'll probably try adding some calcium later on, but I want to see first how it does during its first year with me
By Huntsmanshorn
I agree with Jeff, in that gigantea does very well outside and in the shade but beware, harsh sun will cook them for sure.
By chomato
Thanks everyone! A few days or weeks after posting this thread, the plant began growing once again. It is still in the same substrate and nothing has changed other than the temperature (~74+F). I'll consider placing it outside, but seeing as it began growing again, I'll hold off on that until it is time for me to change the media
20210514_182211.jpg
20210514_182211.jpg (144.53 KiB) Viewed 5594 times

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!