FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By Secretariat73
Ideally, the back end of the rhizome should be higher in the soil, but Dana should be happy enough the way she is planted now. Enjoy! :)
By Supercazzola
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.17 MiB) Viewed 3357 times
I usually like to place mine a bit on the higher side. I figure it’s a lot easier to add soil and not disturb the roots, than to have to bring the plant up. Hope my photo helps, but I am in no way as experienced as others on the forums.

Good luck.
By ChefDean
Supercazzola wrote:
I usually like to place mine a bit on the higher side. I figure it’s a lot easier to add soil and not disturb the roots, than to have to bring the plant up.
Another thing to consider is that, as the plant grows, the rhizome will too. As they grow, they'll push the media around. As they do, especially with peat, the media can only go so far due to the pot, and will pile up around the plant. With the plant being up a little higher, you usually don't have to mess with it until it needs a repot.
Supercazzola liked this
By Secretariat73
ChefDean wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:19 pm
Supercazzola wrote:
I usually like to place mine a bit on the higher side. I figure it’s a lot easier to add soil and not disturb the roots, than to have to bring the plant up.
Another thing to consider is that, as the plant grows, the rhizome will too. As they grow, they'll push the media around. As they do, especially with peat, the media can only go so far due to the pot, and will pile up around the plant. With the plant being up a little higher, you usually don't have to mess with it until it needs a repot.
Two very good points. Also, having the woodier rhizome exposed can encourage more growth points to form along that portion of the rhizome, particularly with a fresh division. That happens frequently with me, and it produces a larger plant more quickly.
madrone liked this
By Secretariat73
Hi Hibiscus! Unfortunately, sarracenias like “Dana’s Delight” do not make good indoor plants. They are outdoor plants that require plentiful sunlight in order to thrive. I assume you do not have any specialized indoor growing set up for plants. If that is the case, some sundews like the cape sundew (Capensis) can do very well growing on a sunny window sill. Pinguiculas might also do well for you. Check out the care requirements for those types of CPs... they might be better suited for your growing conditions. As far as the air is concerned, if it is safe for you to breathe, the plants should be fine. Stuffy rooms generally aren’t a problem for less finicky CPs like capes and pinguiculas. :D
By ChefDean
Secretariat73 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:00 pm Hi Hibiscus! Unfortunately, sarracenias like “Dana’s Delight” do not make good indoor plants.
Hibiscus was a spammer, he got booted.
They're getting smarter.
Secretariat73 liked this
By Secretariat73
At the moment, I only have available for sale S. "Dana's Delight" #1 (the small clump), Venus flytraps "SD Kronos" and "DC XL", and a very limited amount of capensis.

I should have a small offering of drosera regia in the coming weeks. Just waiting for the plants reach at least 4". They are almost there. :D
Supercazzola liked this
By Secretariat73
@silverfly I'll give you a heads up when the regia are ready to go. I hope Dana and Big Mouth are doing well for you! :D
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

I have only grown the humptydew type of D. burmann[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!