FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Sp0nser
So my king henry receltly let out a trap that kinda looks like jaws smiley and i want to clone it, will all the traps be like this if i clone the leaf?
ThanksImageImage

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

By hungrycarnivores
See my post on strange cultivars. This is likely an epigenetic phenotype, not contained in the genetic code of the cells but rather expressed probably due to mistakes when the cells in that trap translate certain genes too much or too little. Thus, you cannot clone it. Also, if it is a mutation it is unlikely to be in the rhizome since it is not a germ-line mutation (in anthers or ovaries), so it might just be localized to the trap. This is much rarer.
Matt liked this
By VFTNoob
Looks like it wanted to pom pom but stopped half way.
By ChefDean
hungrycarnivores wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:00 am See my post on strange cultivars. This is likely an epigenetic phenotype, not contained in the genetic code of the cells but rather expressed probably due to mistakes when the cells in that trap translate certain genes too much or too little. Thus, you cannot clone it. Also, if it is a mutation it is unlikely to be in the rhizome since it is not a germ-line mutation (in anthers or ovaries), so it might just be localized to the trap. This is much rarer.
^^^^ He's right on the money, but you could always pull that leaf and try anyway.
Worst case, nothing happens.
Likely case, you get more King Henry plants.
Awesome case, that mutation translates to the new plant and is expressed as a new cultivar.
Go for it!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!