FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By Adrien
Matt wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:45 pm Update! Here's a 3-D rendering that the company worked up for us after our initial design phone call:
https://esapco.sharefile.com/share/view ... eb732f9328

I love how they put little flytraps on the greenhouse benches!!
Awesome! The greenhouse is HUGE I cannot wait! Hoping all goes well on the move. How will you guys transport all the plants over to Missouri?
By Matt
Adrien wrote:Awesome! The greenhouse is HUGE I cannot wait! Hoping all goes well on the move.
Thank you!

Adrien wrote:How will you guys transport all the plants over to Missouri?
Honestly, I'm not 100% sure yet. I'll definitely be renting a truck of some sort but I still need to research the most cost-effective way to get all the plants 2000+ miles from Oregon and have them arrive in good condition!
By ChefDean
Matt wrote:Update! Here's a 3-D rendering that the company worked up for us after our initial design phone call:
https://esapco.sharefile.com/share/view ... eb732f9328

I love how they put little flytraps on the greenhouse benches!!
Looking at the rendering, what was that on the back? Solar panels?
If not, maybe there could be a way to explore that in the future to offset operating costs.
I had solar on my house in Utah and always had a surplus of electricity for my 3,000 sq ft house, even through the 100+ degree summers. I purposely overbuilt the system, and technology improved the very next year, so I would think you could get something to cover the greenhouse and maybe your parents house for less than what I spent on mine.
I don't know how Missouri does solar surplus, Utah gives a credit for surplus, but doesn't pay the homeowner for it. Some states pay a wholesale rate for surplus electricity generated from residential solar arrays, but it might at least be a break even prospect.
Just a thought.

As to transporting the plants, a U-Haul (or equivalent) might be the best route/easiest option. But plan on about $500+ for fuel alone. When I moved from SLC to Lexington, KY, I spent almost $600 on just fuel for a 26 foot truck going 1,655 miles.
If you look at a commercial service to transport, plan on about $3 - $4 per mile. You might be able to find cheaper via a hotshot market, maybe as low as $1 per mile if you can get them in a bidding war, but you get what you pay for with them. I'd rent a truck myself.
By Matt
ChefDean wrote:Looking at the rendering, what was that on the back? Solar panels?
That's the evaporative cooling system. We're not installing any solar panels initially, but I do have it in the back of my mind to consider in the future. We do have a lot of open space on a south-facing hill on the farm, so there is the possibility to harness quite a bit of power from the sun. I'd love to talk with you about it when/if we're together this summer to work on the greenhouse. I haven't done much research at all into solar, so I need to get ramped up with some knowledge before I consider taking the plunge.

@Adrien, Yeah, I've heard Drew's story. I've already started thinking about how to package the plants up for the move and am pretty sure the logistics of it won't be too hard to figure out. That's a big part of the reason we're waiting until October/November to move -- the flytraps and Sarracenia will be mostly dormant by then!

I think the big thing to think about, more than cost of the move, is the overall weight of the plants we have. Thankfully most of them are potted in long-fiber sphagnum, which doesn't weigh all that much. But I've started expanding my Sarracenia collection again and potting some flytraps in the peat-based mix with silica sand which is heavy. I'm concerned that the overall weight of the collection might surpass what's allowed in those U-Haul (or similar) vehicles. I'll have to get a good guess as to the overall weight and check what the limitations on those trucks are. We'll also probably have to stop at weight stations along the way, I guess. Mike Wang moved his entire huge Sarracenia collection this summer, which is WAY bigger than our collection of plants, and he's been giving me some details about how he pulled it off. So I'm already thinking about it. I just need to sit down sometime soon and formulate a full plan for the move.
Panman, Adrien, MikeB liked this
By ChefDean
Matt wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:08 pm
ChefDean wrote:Looking at the rendering, what was that on the back? Solar panels?
That's the evaporative cooling system.
How's that going to work in the middle of a Missouri summer at 3,754% humidity?
Matt wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:08 pmWe're not installing any solar panels initially, but I do have it in the back of my mind to consider in the future. We do have a lot of open space on a south-facing hill on the farm, so there is the possibility to harness quite a bit of power from the sun. I'd love to talk with you about it when/if we're together this summer to work on the greenhouse.
We'll chat. There are benefits galore, but a lot to consider. Cost, efficiency, output, any tax advantages, power company cooperation, etc. Some states, at the behest of electric companies, are making it harder to get residential solar.
Matt wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:08 pmI think the big thing to think about, more than cost of the move, is the overall weight of the plants we have. Thankfully most of them are potted in long-fiber sphagnum, which doesn't weigh all that much. But I've started expanding my Sarracenia collection again and potting some flytraps in the peat-based mix with silica sand which is heavy. I'm concerned that the overall weight of the collection might surpass what's allowed in those U-Haul (or similar) vehicles. I'll have to get a good guess as to the overall weight and check what the limitations on those trucks are. We'll also probably have to stop at weight stations along the way, I guess. Mike Wang moved his entire huge Sarracenia collection this summer, which is WAY bigger than our collection of plants, and he's been giving me some details about how he pulled it off. So I'm already thinking about it. I just need to sit down sometime soon and formulate a full plan for the move.
You're correct that weight will be a big factor, but securing "loose" cargo into a big box is another story. If I remember my figures correctly from my trucker days, as long as the vehicle is under 26,000 lbs, even towing a trailer under 10,000 lbs, doesn't have air brakes, you're transporting your own property, you don't need to worry about weigh stations as it does not qualify as a commercial vehicle. However, some states still require all big vehicles, even U-Haul rentals, to stop at weigh stations, but rarely chase them down if they bypass. But most dual axle trucks (typical U-Haul or equivalent rental) have a GVRW of 20K lbs, so they usually get ignored by ports of entry.

Another thing to consider, weather. The shortest path is across Wyoming and Nebraska, which, although early in the winter season, can get ugly quick and close the Interstate for days with temps well below freezing, especially across Wyoming, and rental trucks don't usually have reefers.
By Matt
ChefDean wrote:How's that going to work in the middle of a Missouri summer at 3,754% humidity?
Haha, not terribly well! However, the sidewalls are gonna be 12 feet and there is good ventilation and fans and, honestly, it almost never gets so hot in Missouri that it is out of the ideal range for Sarracenia and flytraps (highs are almost never above 95F), which is primarily all I ever intend to grow. So the plants will do fine with the high humidity as long as we can keep the temps in the greenhouse around the outdoor ambient temperatures during the summer months.

ChefDean wrote:We'll chat. There are benefits galore, but a lot to consider. Cost, efficiency, output, any tax advantages, power company cooperation, etc. Some states, at the behest of electric companies, are making it harder to get residential solar.
Sounds fun. Looking forward to it! It doesn't surprise me that residential solar is becoming harder to get in some states due to large corporations having sway over politicians. That seems to be the current way our government works in many cases.

ChefDean wrote:Another thing to consider, weather. The shortest path is across Wyoming and Nebraska, which, although early in the winter season, can get ugly quick and close the Interstate for days with temps well below freezing, especially across Wyoming, and rental trucks don't usually have reefers.
Thanks for all the info on trucks, weigh stations, etc. Sounds like we shouldn't have too much to worry about there, but I'll do more research before we dive in. And yes, I'd considered the weather factor. It will be far easier to move the plants once they're dormant, but of course, the tradeoff is the risk of hitting bad weather. The good news is that there's no hard timeline for us to move out, so we can take our time and pick an ideal weather window.
By Greenthumbs Garden
WOW Matt & Leah!!
I'm super pumped for you both!! It's my dream also to have my own ranch, with flat fertile land and an awesome greenhouse. Man, I wish I could too visit... maybe one day if my Youtube is making bags of money I could book a business trip over and do a tour!! lol,.... and claim back the tax...lol. I'm super happy for you guys man. It will surely have its trials and sleepless nights but I've come to believe all blessings have their fair bit of work cut out with them.
Matt liked this
By Matt
Dr GreenThumb wrote:WOW Matt & Leah!!
I'm super pumped for you both!! It's my dream also to have my own ranch, with flat fertile land and an awesome greenhouse. Man, I wish I could too visit... maybe one day if my Youtube is making bags of money I could book a business trip over and do a tour!! lol,.... and claim back the tax...lol. I'm super happy for you guys man. It will surely have its trials and sleepless nights but I've come to believe all blessings have their fair bit of work cut out with them.
Thanks so much, Dr GreenThumb!! Yes, it really is a dream come true for us (me in particular) to have a nice big greenhouse on an amazing farmstead of flat, fertile land.

If you ever make it to the US, you're more than welcome to stay with us during the visit -- we'd even feed you while you were staying with us :)

Yes, there will be some juggling and a lot of work to make the move and get re-established in Missouri, but once it is all over with I know it will be an awesome set up for us!
By Greenthumbs Garden
Matt wrote:we'd even feed you while you were staying with us
If only you knew what you were saying... :lol: :lol: People always say it's cheaper to buy me a new suit than to buy me dinner... Seriously though that is a mighty kind offer and would be wonderful one day to be able to take you upon it. That greenhouse man in the 3d design.... what a beaut! will you plan on making some big cisterns to collect the rainwater? Can't wait to hear more about it and see it on the channel eventually.
By Matt
Dr GreenThumb wrote:If only you knew what you were saying... People always say it's cheaper to buy me a new suit than to buy me dinner.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dr GreenThumb wrote:will you plan on making some big cisterns to collect the rainwater?
Yep! Got a 2500 gallon cistern coming in a few months and plan on routing all of the rainwater off the greenhouse and nearby house and buildings on the property to feed it!

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!