FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By Supercazzola
Wow! Thanks for sharing that beautiful sight.
Since all of my Sarracenia are new divisions, I cut my flower stalks off. Can’t wait for next year though.
By MikeB
The pot on the right, with the boatload of small buds: Is that a Sarracenia rubra?
By murrkywaters
I've only got two right now, and they're just starting. The frogman division I bought has both. I really want to try crossing with my fat chance. Here's to hoping that it flowers at the right time.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

By optique
MikeB wrote:The pot on the right, with the boatload of small buds: Is that a Sarracenia rubra?
the one on the right that you cant see the pot at all is "Hummer's Hammerhead" the one behind it is SNW's "Sweet Excellence"
By ChefDean
optique wrote:
MikeB wrote:The pot on the right, with the boatload of small buds: Is that a Sarracenia rubra?
the one on the right that you cant see the pot at all is "Hummer's Hammerhead" the one behind it is SNW's "Sweet Excellence"
My HH went nuts this year too. A rhizome about 1.5 inches across put up nine stalks.
By optique
murrkywaters wrote:I've only got two right now, and they're just starting. The frogman division I bought has both. I really want to try crossing with my fat chance. Here's to hoping that it flowers at the right time.
I enjoy crossing stuff in my collection also.
last year VS now
Image Image
By MikeB
optique wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:29 pm
When I was a teenager, I had a huge pot of Sarracenia rubra ssp. rubra. They used to pop a ton of small flowers like this.

Hummer's Hammerhead is a Sarracenia (psittacina x alabamensis) x alabamensis hybrid. That explains the gobs of flowers: alabamensis is a rubra subspecies or closely related, depending on whose taxonomy you follow.

I just got an HH last fall. It didn't produce any flowers this year, and the new pitchers are only a couple inches tall. I'm looking forward to it getting big enough to put on a spring display like yours.
By optique
MikeB wrote: I just got an HH last fall. It didn't produce any flowers this year, and the new pitchers are only a couple inches tall. I'm looking forward to it getting big enough to put on a spring display like yours.
Its one of my fav cultivars, I think this year i will try crossing with with 'bug bat' both ways and see what i get. i also was really shocked to find out it did not have a S. Minor in the mix.
By MikeB
Have you ever grown Sarracenia 'Dixie Lace'? It's a hardy, vigorous hybrid created by Larry Mellichamp and Rob Gardner. I grew it for years in a 16-inch urn pot; every 4 years, it would fill the pot with plants and have to be divided.
By optique
MikeB wrote:Have you ever grown Sarracenia 'Dixie Lace'?
nope

update
Image Image

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

rotted S. purpurea rhizome??

www.hccarnivorousplants.co.uk Wow. I wish we […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!