FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Have excess seed? Share it with other members here.

Moderator: Matt

By SDCPs
Will also donate with SASE:

-2 S. purpurea packets
-3 D. lusitanicum packets
-1 D. filiformis filiformis temperate packet
-D. finlaysoniana --if could use some more I could send over a decent number of packets :P

Need a decent number of D. burmannii to spread over sarracenia pots and looks like there's quite a bit available!

Minus the 1 packet per month limitation (ICPS seedbank doesn't have that for donors for example) I love the idea! Thanks for your hard work!!
ChefDean liked this
By ChefDean
SDCPs wrote:Need a decent number of D. burmannii to spread over sarracenia pots and looks like there's quite a bit available!
Looks can be deceiving. Bulk simply means that the remaining seed hasn't been separated out into packets. That's done at the time of request fulfillment. However, with your donation incoming, I think I might be able to scrape enough together to make you happy. Not school girl, bouncing up and down while covering your mouth giggling happy. More like soft smile, gentle nod of your head, with a single tear poised to fall from your eye while gazing at baby puppies happy.
SDCPs wrote:Minus the 1 packet per month limitation (ICPS seedbank doesn't have that for donors for example) I love the idea! Thanks for your hard work!!
Yup. Different organizations do things differently. Weird, huh?
SDCPs liked this
By ChefDean
Order received.
Your order number is 0389.
I'll PM you shortly with a mailing address for your SASE.
Thank you for your order.

For Sarracenia or Dionaea seeds, I strongly suggest you use a non-machinable stamp on your return envelope. (The inside one) For Drosera, Pinguicula, and Utricularia seeds, the extra postage is not necessary.
If you can't find a non-machinable stamp, I suggest a forever stamp plus a 15 cent stamp or two regular forever stamps on your return envelope.
The USPS machinery loves to crush those seeds. 

Reminder to all:
Please remember return address on all envelopes.
Please remember to write your Forum username and order number somewhere on the envelope or in a note.
I don't have access to a cross reference of real-world names linked to usernames.
Remembering these things helps me fill orders quicker.
Thank you.

Happy growing,
Dean
SDCPs liked this
By SDCPs
ChefDean wrote:Yup. Different organizations do things differently. Weird, huh?
Yes, definitely. This should never be! :o

Very colorful descriptions on the bulk seed hehe!

Sent! You'll find the packing innovative...I'm a pro
By SDCPs
ChefDean wrote:
SDCPs wrote:Minus the 1 packet per month limitation (ICPS seedbank doesn't have that for donors for example) I love the idea! Thanks for your hard work!!
Yup. Different organizations do things differently. Weird, huh?
In my opinion though the one packet rule is silly, especially for donors. I like the international version better. Or perhaps it should be 6 packets bi-annually.

1x per month versus biannually: I send 6 SASEs (6x harder than sending 1). I pay 6x the postage necessary. $6 instead of $1 (for US). I use 12 envelopes instead of 2. All those carbon emissions...6x more deliveries than necessary. All that extra work for you. Fill 6 orders instead of 1. Not to mention we do this post and PM dance 6x instead of once to achieve the same result. What bloat!

It just doesn't make any sense to me...especially if someone (like myself) gives more than I try to get in these instances. It just makes it HARD to get the plants to donate seed in the future and makes the likelihood of me donating repeatedly less. The same 12 packet annual limit could be enforced in a more streamlined manner. Even both domestic and international 3x every 3 months. I mean why not!?

You gentlefolk obviously don't have to defend your policy, and I am using the service provided as specified, but I am going to squeal if something doesn't make sense and voice my opinion--done here--with all due respect.
By ChefDean
I normally don't respond to posts like this, but I feel compelled to this time.
SDCPs wrote:In my opinion though the one packet rule is silly, especially for donors. I like the international version better. Or perhaps it should be 6 packets bi-annually.
It may seem silly, but donors get their perks, and the monthly system has its benefits as well.

The international version is designed to reduce costs, and it's difficult to Tetris in more than about four packs and keep them secure. Add in extra padding to protect more fragile seeds, as well as any bonus seeds they would like added, and I think it's done pretty well
SDCPs wrote:1x per month versus biannually: I send 6 SASEs (6x harder than sending 1). I pay 6x the postage necessary. $6 instead of $1 (for US). I use 12 envelopes instead of 2. All those carbon emissions...6x more deliveries than necessary. All that extra work for you. Fill 6 orders instead of 1. Not to mention we do this post and PM dance 6x instead of once to achieve the same result. What bloat!
Again, the difficulty ensuring the packets are secure when you start putting more than four. I suppose that you could always send a larger envelope, but now your costs would increase, likely negating any savings you might have realized.

However, many people have found a way to halve their costs by making a request at the end of a month, then requesting again at the first of the next month. They can then combine both requests into a single envelope, decreasing their costs by 50%. Plus the seeds themselves are free.

Another reason for the monthly domestic requests is to make it fair for everyone. When a new donation comes in, one that may be uncommon or brand new, everyone eligible has an equal chance at requesting it. Donors are just as likely to request as not, because they may already have it, or they don't have room. If someone had just made their bi-annual request, and a new donation they wanted were to come in, they would be out of luck for up to six more months. I try to wait for the first of the month to list new seeds that are uncommon or have never been in inventory, but I still get PM'd with requests to hold seeds until someone is eligible, but that's not fair to the other 6,000+ members. Plus, the USPS isn't perfect, they lose mail from time to time. If you were to make your bi-annual request and it never gets delivered to you for whatever reason, you are now ineligible to request again for six months. With the monthly system, you only need to wait a few weeks, a couple of months for international.

Carbon emissions aren't a factor, the USPS is going to make the run with or without that monthly envelope, and the carrier is going to still drive to your mailbox six times a week. The addition of a regular envelope or not will not make a difference.

I knew what I was getting into when I accepted the voluntary position, so the extra work isn't an issue.

No one is forced to do the post and PM dance monthly. If that's too much work for someone, they can choose to do it once every six months, but they only get the one pack, plus whatever bonus if they want it.
SDCPs wrote:It just doesn't make any sense to me...especially if someone (like myself) gives more than I try to get in these instances. It just makes it HARD to get the plants to donate seed in the future and makes the likelihood of me donating repeatedly less. The same 12 packet annual limit could be enforced in a more streamlined manner. Even both domestic and international 3x every 3 months. I mean why not!?
This is the part that got stuck in my craw.

While there are some that have donated a single pack of Cape seeds to become a donor, almost everyone who has donated to this seed bank has given more than they have received, you're far from unique in that regard. Last year alone I received multiple donations of over 30 packets of seeds each, one was over 50 packs of multiple species. Plus, if you look at the donor list, you'll see that one person has donated over 100 packs, a couple have donated around 80 packs, and more than a few have donated over 50 packs. However, if you'll also read the description of the seed bank, it is intended as a community seed bank for the members, donation is not required to request. But I guarantee that 99% of those on the donor list to date has donated not to gain a sense of superiority over anyone, or to complain that the system in place for years is flawed, but to help others by making free seeds available when most other places charge a fee, even a nominal fee (not to mention a membership fee in some cases to even access their seed bank), plus postage to get seeds. They have all chosen to help without thinking about whether or not they will get anything in return.
SDCPs wrote:You gentlefolk obviously don't have to defend your policy, and I am using the service provided as specified, but I am going to squeal if something doesn't make sense and voice my opinion--done here--with all due respect.
Squeal all you'd like, the service of free seeds will still be available to you every month that you choose to use the service provided by this member-supported, community seed bank.

A couple last tidbits to digest.

You mentioned the ICPS and their procedure of allowing multiple requests for donors. While we all applaud their vision and mission of carnivorous plant conservation and education, lets look at their inventory from the beginning of April, 2021.
Screenshot (40).png
Screenshot (40).png (579.84 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
Unless you want binata, Capes, or intermedia, you're kinda out of luck. So much for that annual membership fee that you just paid. You could have made 25 monthly requests, received 25 different packets of seeds, chosen from the 86 different varieties of Drosera, Sarracenia, and Dionaea seeds we have in stock, or Maxsea fertilizer, plus 25 packets of bonus Capes for that same price, all made possible by the generosity of our members.
flytrapcare-community-seedbank-inventor ... 33352.html

Last, don't interpret this response as a defense of the policy of this seed bank. Interpret it as a round of applause for all the members of this forum, donor or not, who have chosen to provide their help to others in all stages of the carnivorous plant community from beginner to well seasoned grower, even a few commercial growers. They have chosen give their time, advice, resources, and the seeds of their labor without regard of a return on their investment.

Regards,
Chef
Matt, sanguinearocks101, evenwind and 2 others liked this
By Matt
@ChefDean, well stated!!
ChefDean wrote:I knew what I was getting into when I accepted the voluntary position, so the extra work isn't an issue.
I've been thinking about how much work it is for you and trying to come up with some sort of way to compensate you for your time. Knowing how tedious it is to fill seed orders for FTS, I know you must spend many hours a week both answering posts on this forum and packaging up seeds to go out.

In addition to a huge thank you and being extremely grateful for the time you donate to make this community a better place (and I know I'm not the only one), is there anything else I could offer you in terms of perks? Free plants from FTS on the same schedule as the seed bank orders for members (1 per month of anything that's in stock)?

Thank you so very much for all you do for the FTC forum -- not only running the seed bank but donating your time to answer people's questions!!
By ChefDean
Matt wrote:@ChefDean, well stated!!
ChefDean wrote:I knew what I was getting into when I accepted the voluntary position, so the extra work isn't an issue.
I've been thinking about how much work it is for you and trying to come up with some sort of way to compensate you for your time. Knowing how tedious it is to fill seed orders for FTS, I know you must spend many hours a week both answering posts on this forum and packaging up seeds to go out.

In addition to a huge thank you and being extremely grateful for the time you donate to make this community a better place (and I know I'm not the only one), is there anything else I could offer you in terms of perks? Free plants from FTS on the same schedule as the seed bank orders for members (1 per month of anything that's in stock)?

Thank you so very much for all you do for the FTC forum -- not only running the seed bank but donating your time to answer people's questions!!
Not at all, I'm good. Besides, you've got a full plate in front of you in the upcoming year yourself, you have other priorities right now. Outside the fact that I don't have room for much more without an upgrade, not to mention space in my garage for dormancy. I have a three car garage, but a wife and two daughters need a place to park out of the sun/rain/wind/cold. Also, with work and school, time to care for all those plants would rapidly become an issue. I thank you for your offer.
Right now, I'm happy to give back to the community that gave their time and support to me when I got back into the hobby and moved beyond the windowsill garden, and to pay forward the support I continue to get today.
Matt, SDCPs liked this
By Panman
Hear! Hear! I think our program is fantastic and equitable for all involved. I donated a batch of seeds last fall, not because I wanted to get in the sneak peek list (although that is a plus) I wanted to share the success I had with the group that helped me to get there.
ChefDean liked this
By SDCPs
@ChefDean @Matt

Thank you for the thorough responses! I really do like the idea of making a request at the beginning of the month and one at the end. Too bad we can't put them in the same thread but at least it makes the process a bit more efficient. Didn't think of that! The ICPS seedbank used to have far more interesting varieties. Maybe those were only available to donors (I donated several hundred packs...mostly finlaysoniana lol) And I haven't been a member for half a decade since I had to get out of growing for life circumstances. It's a shame though if that's the sum total of the bank at this stage!!

I don't think I would last long in your position (although I volunteer in other ways) so big kudos.
ChefDean wrote:it's difficult to Tetris in more than about four packs and keep them secure. Add in extra padding to protect more fragile seeds, as well as any bonus seeds they would like added, and I think it's done pretty well
Maybe people are not using the regular big envelopes, but I sold seed for half a decade...thousands of packets shipped in regular mail...hundreds in a massive unlimited 5 variety giveaway alone (this is fairly historic)! See here. https://terraforums.com/forums/threads/ ... se.124061/ Perhaps I don't pack them well enough, but I was able to send 12 seed packets to you with my SASE (you'll see!) For drosera seed, I think 5 rows of 4 is not out of the question in the regular long envelopes, even with added protection on either side if you desire. Not sure why more can't be added. 4 is ridiculously low by my standards! I did all sorts of creative things, even packing vft seeds and sarracenia seeds into 2mm chloroplast (aka twinwall--the plastic sheets used for elections--but the thinner version) painstakingly, then sealing both ends with little bits of foam. I could send at least 10 of those "packets" in one envelope, and the seeds would be VERY protected :lol:

Just for the record, I've donated my fair share. For example...in exchange for 1 packet...I donated over 80 packs in Mike's name (see end of this thread for photo): https://terraforums.com/forums/threads/ ... ed.143506/. The honest truth is I've far eclipsed the biggest donors on your list in volume to other projects, but not variety I'm sure. Hey, nobody else will toot your horn for ya :P I just don't have any to donate at the moment lol (except finlaysoniana!) or I probably would have sent more. Like I say, this paragraph really isn't necessary, and I've thought about striking it, I'm not trying to say I'm better than others here.
ChefDean wrote:If someone had just made their bi-annual request, and a new donation they wanted were to come in, they would be out of luck for up to six more months.
With those rarer seeds you can just limit requests to 1 packet per member, and that's the member's choice if they want to use all 6 slots in that example. If they were concerned for rarity they could reserve 1 just in case! But if I wanted 6 species to grow out now (start of spring), I'd much prefer the freedom to request them all for the season...then have to keep coming back and adding a new request every month. Really, maybe 3 packets for everyone every 3 months is the best balance. It's a simpler policy at least! But obviously y'all are gonna do what y'all are gonna do! Really, do check out that 5 variety unlimited SASE+. Despite not shipping internationally, it had a warranty and everything. Compared to the limits here it was Mind blowingly cool! There were 0 restrictions on what a member could request...and I filled 'em all! I know much more expansive and efficient systems can work. Much more freeing systems (for both manager and requesters). I'm just telling you this current system is far more restrictive than it needs to be from my perspective and experience. It does not allow a member to plan an execute for real life as well (such as spring being here)...and instead enforces this artificially restrictive...I digress. I'm not running the show so I don't have the info you have, but that SASE+ does show you I have at least some inkling of what I speak of.

I like to do things in big batches if you haven't noticed already...so perhaps my objections stem largely from my personal style.

And I'm obviously not afraid to "rock the boat" either in a (hopefully) respectful way, so there's that. I've spent thousands on my current collection and I'll just buy whatever I want/need if it comes to it. Time more valuable than the money perhaps--Which is why I donated the 80 packets above instead of trying to sell them. Can't let them go to waste!

Anyway, appreciate the dialogue Dean and Matt. Carry on :)
By SDCPs
ChefDean wrote:SASE received.
Order is fulfilled.
Return envelope going out in tomorrow's mail.

Happy growing,
Dean
Received a few days ago...think I'm more like that happy schoolgirl than you anticipated :D Thanks Dean!
Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Hey all, Last year, I was at my local nursery, and[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!