FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Cryosis7
Hi all;

One of my VFT's has had an incredible summer, growing from just a few traps to the point where it's very crammed in the pot. It's currently Autumn here in NZ and winter runs from June-August, I had been planning to wait until then to repot it however I'm wondering if it's too crammed and needs replanting sooner.

When I do come to replant it, whether that be soon or in several months; how on earth are you meant to do so without triggering the traps?
It sounds impossible and rather terrifying to attempt to do so...

P.S.
I notice that most of the traps aren't open fully; most of the fingers are pointing inwards - is this a sign that it's struggling in some way?
By Matt
Cryosis7 wrote:I had been planning to wait until then to repot it however I'm wondering if it's too crammed and needs replanting sooner.
Flytraps can be repotted any time of year but they seem to be set back the very least when repotted in late winter. As such, if they were my plants, I'd probably wait to repot them.

Cryosis7 wrote:When I do come to replant it, whether that be soon or in several months; how on earth are you meant to do so without triggering the traps?
It sounds impossible and rather terrifying to attempt to do so...
Fear not! All of the traps will likely trigger shut, but it doesn't harm them at all. They'll reopen a few days after the plant settles into its new pot. I can recall being terrified the first time I repotted my Venus flytraps as well, so it's totally normal to feel that way! But I can assure you there's nothing at all to worry about as flytraps are very forgiving when it comes to being repotted. They typically don't skip a beat and settle right back into growing within a week or two, particularly when repotted in late winter, spring, or early summer.
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as w[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!