FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By AndrewFR
I'm reviving a young pitcher plant my friend mistreated over two years. I repotted and have been taking care of it like I do for the rest of my carnivorous plants (~10 others, a mix of flytraps, sundews, and two other pitcher plants).

Anyway, overnight all the new growth changed from being straight and fairly rigid to being soft and floppy. That was a couple days ago, and now the older growth (three fully grown traps) are also turning floppy.

I have two questions:
  • What could cause this? And,
  • Should I remove the floppy leaves?
There has not been any other apparent problems except a small amount of white fungus that appeared about a month ago that I cleaned off. I used some sulfur fungicide that had no effect (maybe poor quality product). Later I changed the top soil, added springtails, and I haven't seen any signs of the fungus since.

Another recent change was my light source. I changed from a blue-and-purple grow light to a full spectrum white light for aesthetic reasons. It is the same power as my previous light, and my other plants are unaffected.

Pictures below.
Thanks!

20210418_090201.jpg
20210418_090201.jpg (3.48 MiB) Viewed 3773 times
20210418_090159.jpg
20210418_090159.jpg (4.08 MiB) Viewed 3773 times
20210418_090148.jpg
20210418_090148.jpg (3.38 MiB) Viewed 3773 times
By Panman
The plant itself looks okay. It is in dormancy. It looks like it is planted too deeply and the soil looks much too dry. The like it wet.
By AndrewFR
It just came out of dormancy about a month ago, hence all the new growth. And I've removed it from the water tray for the photo, but it usually sits in 1 inch of water all the time.
By AndrewFR
Still not sure what happened to my plant. All the leaves turned completely dry. Maybe the plant is going back into dormancy after only a month of growth? Or maybe the plant is just dying...
By CPhunter101
AndrewFR wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:52 am Still not sure what happened to my plant. All the leaves turned completely dry. Maybe the plant is going back into dormancy after only a month of growth? Or maybe the plant is just dying...
Sarrs don't go dormant twice... :(
Could you post a new pic of your plant?
By steve booth
it looks like its either dried up at some point or the rhizome may be rotting. If it dried it may come back if you keep it wetter than normal.
Have you just repotted it?
For rot, inspection don't uproot it, but move some of the soil and look at the rhizome, if it is white and firm it's healthy if it's brown and corky it's got some rot. In that case, remove it and cut out the rot and repot, you have got all the rot when the rhizome is white all the way through (it will turn brown slowly in the air as it oxidises and there may be small brown flecks close to the perimeter ).
Cheers
Steve
By AndrewFR
Final update. The floppy leaves were a sign that the plant was dying. Since it was a relatively small plant, I wasn't able to address it and remove the rot before it killed the plant. :(

Live and learn - I'll know better if anything like this happens to another plant.

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!