FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Fuggle
Hi, I brought my VFT out of dormancy a number of weeks ago now. While in dormancy, all the leaves, shoots and traps died off. Now that it is out, I keep it on my windowsill in the morning and on my balcony (on the other side of my home) in the afternoon, for maximum light.
My question is this; Nothing has grown back yet. No shoots, nothing. Is this normal? And if so, when can I expect to see life again?

Many thanks guys & girls...
By ChefDean
First, are you sure the rhizome is still good? Over dormancy, the media should be damp, but only about half of what is normal for an active plant. If it got too wet for too long, the rhizome could have expired. (I think most of us have drowned a rhizome over dormancy) You may want to dig it up to make sure it is still alive. Firm and white is good, brown and soft is bad.
Next, assuming it's alive, on top of waking up, the plant is confused. I'm not talking "the plant identifies as a Rhododendron" confused, but trying to adapt to two different environments confused. These aren't houseplants, a windowsill isn't enough light. As long as your nighttime temps stay above freezing, leave it outside.
If it's gone over the rainbow bridge, I'll say a few kind words and pour out a few drops of my best bourbon for your fallen homie.
Matt liked this
By Fuggle
lol! :lol: Cheers Dean,
Actually, I don't think that I overwatered my VFT during dormancy. Although, I did keep it in a room that received some light during the day. I keep it on the windowsill overnight, as it is still very cold in the PM her in Old Blighty. Once the sun has passed over the house, I put my VFT outside on my balcony, so that it can benefit from the afternoon sunlight too.

Here are the roots, they seem firm and are white. No stems or shoots though, just the bulb you see and some thin strands (roots) hanging from the bottom of the bulb.
IMG_20210417_143540.jpg
IMG_20210417_143540.jpg (4.02 MiB) Viewed 2382 times
IMG_20210417_143451.jpg
IMG_20210417_143451.jpg (3.57 MiB) Viewed 2382 times
By Panman
White means life. Put it up in fresh medium, keep it damp but not wet, and give it lots of sun to keep it warm. It should sprout some new for growth soon. I gave mine outside and some are just starting to show signs of life.
By Fuggle
Thanks Panman (why Panman? lol). How long did it take for your VFT to show signs of life? Also, what would be wrong with keeping it in the same medium as it has been dormant in?

Many thanks! :P
By Panman
Some of them still are not putting out new leaves. They still have decent looking old leaves so I am not worried.

Looking at the top part where the leaves were, you can see that it is brown and mushy. That is a sign of too much water You can put it back in the same media. I like to change it whenever I have to uproot a plant. It really depends on how long it has been in there. Keep it damp but not wet. That is going to be critical.

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!