FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By That one plant boi
So I've had this Nepenthes BE 3172 for a while now, and it's grown quite well for me outdoors in Central Florida. I've done some research on it, and apparently it still hasn't been given an official name, and I think it was because the area it was collected from is now restricted or something. I'm not entirely sure so correct me if I'm wrong.
But anyway, I was wondering if we should go ahead and give it a name, at least until it is named officially. Maybe based off specific traits it may have? Let me know if this is something you guys would like to do (if we're even allowed to do it).

Also, if anybody else has the same plant, maybe you could help add to the knowledge of it's cultivation by sharing your experiences with it?

Let me know what you guys think!ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By camsdad66
I don't have a catchy name at the moment, but it is a very attractive plant! Nice coloration!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

By That one plant boi
camsdad66 wrote:I don't have a catchy name at the moment, but it is a very attractive plant! Nice coloration!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Thanks!

By That one plant boi
DragonsEye wrote:How about "Fred" Image
I will officially name this individual plant Fred, lol. But if you do happen to have any ideas for a species name, let me know!

By rrrt
How about N. maculosa? "Maculosa" means "spotted" or "speckled", which I think reflects the appearance of the pitchers.
By That one plant boi
rrrt wrote:How about N. maculosa? "Maculosa" means "spotted" or "speckled", which I think reflects the appearance of the pitchers.
I actually really like that one! Sounds like an actual scientifically assigned name! We should definitely consider it!

By That one plant boi
Something I forgot to add: I'd like the final naming decision to be a community effort where we all come to an agreement on a proposed name. I don't want to be the only one that chooses, so pitch your names, people!

To add a deadline, I guess we'll do a drawing at the end of this month.

By That one plant boi
Berrybob wrote:I heard that they get large, so maybe N. Grandis (Latin for large, grown, etc).
Great suggestion!
I've also heard that they get quite large, so I can't wait until mine starts to mature.

By rrrt
That one plant boi wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:07 pm Something I forgot to add: I'd like the final naming decision to be a community effort where we all come to an agreement on a proposed name. I don't want to be the only one that chooses, so pitch your names, people!

Maybe we could decide via a poll.
By That one plant boi
rrrt wrote:
That one plant boi wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:07 pm Something I forgot to add: I'd like the final naming decision to be a community effort where we all come to an agreement on a proposed name. I don't want to be the only one that chooses, so pitch your names, people!

Maybe we could decide via a poll.
Good idea! I'll wait for a few more suggestions though, then I'll go ahead and make a poll with the most popular choices.

Please and thank you!

Dang. That is huge!

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!