FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By joravenphin
hello! i just got a JoelCarnivourousPlants B52 fly trap and right now it has black spots and it looks like it’s been out of sunlight for days- any tips?
By Panman
In my opinion, there are a couple of things. First, you are potted in pure sphagnum, which is fine. The catch is, you don't want it sitting in a saucer of water as it will keep the plant too wet. Just top water it when it is just damp. Second, the crown of the plant needs to be above the surface of the moss. you may want to pull some of that moss away until you just get to the white part of the rhizome. Third, introduce it to full, outdoor sunlight over a week or two. You can put it straight out, but the leaves will get sunburn and that upsets some people. Finally, make sure that you are using only distilled, RO, or rainwater to water the plant. You can use tap water if you test it and it has less than 50 PPM dissolved solids.

If you haven't already, read the care guide at https://www.flytrapcare.com/. It has everything you need to know.
Matt, MikeB, joravenphin liked this

I can vouch for this statement. Trader Joe's had a[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!