FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By septembersapphire21
I did look in the forum to see if my question was already answered, but wasn't.

I rescued my VFT Harold at a local Lowes last Thursday. Since I don't know what lighting environment he was in before I got him, I was weaning him on sunlight for a week. I have him at my window to get some sunlight. I wanna try starting growing him outside, but will he be ok to even being outside at night? As of now, the days are staying at 50 60 degrees, with the temperature dropping high to low 40s at night. Dew point is ok since there has been April showers, and humidity is comfortable. I'm a little worried that he'll go into dormancy which I know its not the right time. Thanks to those who answer!
By CPhunter101
You're correct, acclimating your flytrap is the first step to his survival. Give your flytrap more light, little by little. By the beginning of summer (or sooner), he should be able to handle full sun easily. Also make sure you repot him if you got him from a Lowes death cube (you can find out how to repot flytraps from posts in this forum or at FlytrapCare.com). The soil mix should be 50:50 (pure) peat moss and perlite (with no minerals or fertilizer).
Flytraps go into dormancy naturally (in winter) and temps in the 40s won't force dormancy.
Hope this helps. :)
Matt liked this
By ChefDean
^^^^ Is great advice.
Another option is what a lot of us call the tough love approach.
These plants are tougher than many think. Give it a repot in either 50/50 peat/perlite or pure long fiber sphagnum moss and put it right outside. Put it into a spot that gets direct morning sunlight until about noon, then indirect sunlight for the rest of the day.
Your temps are great, they won't hurt a thing. If it happens to drop below freezing at night, I'd bring it in. Otherwise, leave it out.
The plant will likely experience some sunburn, and the existing leaves may die off, but the new growth will be acclimated to the new conditions and do well.
Matt, CPhunter101 liked this
By septembersapphire21
These are very helpful answers! And yes, I will be transplanting him in a bigger clean plastic flower pot with drainage holes so that he can grow better than in the tiny pot he's in now, and I will look into repotting forums that's here so that I'm doing the right thing. I had to order a bag of Sphagnum moss/perlite through Amazon because Lowes doesn't sell the right and safe mix. It's 60:40 of Sphagnum moss/perlite.

I also bought another VFT, Vinnie, from a different local Lowes yesterday. I will transplant him as well and do the same sunlight weening process for a week.

I appreciate the responses! :D
CPhunter101 liked this

Hey gang! So I think the humidifier I have is goi[…]

Not what you would expect...

Nothing to do with the condiment cup/urine sample.[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!