FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By albertoburrito
Arizona, temps get over 110 in summer. I might just use a shade cloth cus i don't think any sarracenia can handle az temps
By Matt
Having lived in Arizona for 7 years, I'd guess that Sarracenia would do OK outside there much of the year but their pitchers would likely not do well in mid-summer and would end up burned and not very attractive looking. I'm pretty certain they wouldn't die though. Sarrs and Venus flytraps can handle pretty extreme temps as long as their soil stays damp.
CPhunter101 liked this
By CPhunter101
albertoburrito wrote:Arizona, temps get over 110 in summer. I might just use a shade cloth cus i don't think any sarracenia can handle az temps
I know Arizona can really heat up but is 110+ degrees a spike in temperature or a steady temperature over many days?
If it's a spike then sarrs can take it (some pitchers might burn at the tips), just make sure to water them the day afterwards.
As for a steady temperature over many days, a shade cloth would be necessary and placing ice cubes into their water trays (to make sure their roots don't overheat) would be beneficial. I recomend you use a 30% light filtering greenhouse shade cloth like this one. www.amazon.com I've used it for drosera (full sun ones like D. Capensis) and nepenthes so it should also work for sarrs.
If you make the right decision to prepare and aclimate your sarrs to the partial sunlight before summer, they should be prepared for the heat. ;)

Edit: I'm sorry, the link doesn't work. I meant to post a link of Agfrabric 30% Sun Block Shade Cloth from Amazon.
albertoburrito, Matt liked this
By That one plant boi
If I'm not mistaken, I believe Leucophylla is more tolerant of warmer weather due to the areas it grows in. It also happens to be among the most beautiful of the sarracenia, so it's a win-win.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
optique liked this
By DesertLlama
I can speak from experience about this! I grew some flytraps, a D. multifida extrema, and a couple Judith Hindles during the Phoenix summer last year. What Matt said is on point. They handled the temps just fine although some leaf burn is to be expected if they get midday sun. I would definitely recommend placing them in as big of a pot as you can to prevent the soil from drying out. What I used was a 14-inch plastic pot placed inside a bigger glazed pot which acted as the water tray and heat sink to keep the soil as cool as possible.

Another good resource for outdoor growing in Phoenix is if you look up Copper State Carnivores. The guy who runs it used to live out in Apache Junction although I think he has since moved out of state. If you look through his posts, he has a lot of helpful tips regarding just about every aspect of your plants’ care during the hottest summer months.
By Secretariat73
I’m in Las Vegas, so my growing conditions are probably very similar to yours. Most of my sarrs grow beautifully despite the 115F+ heat in the summer. In my experience, the key points for pretty pitchers are morning sun, afternoon shade, and plenty of water. The sarrs should be in shade before peak heat and sunlight intensity occur. I also use white containers whenever possible and large, deep water trays that are kept filled with several inches of water at all times during the summer (shallow trays heat up faster and require more maintenance). Because the plants are kept so hydrated, container size isn’t as important a factor for me. The containers just have to be tall enough so that a plant’s roots won’t be completely submerged in water. No crispy foliage over here unless I’ve forgotten to top off the water trays or I’ve fed the plants some food that didn’t agree with them (they don’t catch enough bugs over here for prime growth).

A Leuco would be a great first choice because they are tough plants that might be more tolerant of warmer climates. However, I’ve had great luck with just about everything I’ve tried. Leucos and flavas perform the strongest for me (flavas usually pitcher in spring and fall for me... maybe because of the abrupt onset of the summer heat). Minors can be fussy about the high water levels I maintain, and they require my deepest pots to perform well. No problems with purps. However, my strongest all around plant is actually a moorei called “Leah Wilkerson.” It seems indestructible, sends up tall, gorgeous pitchers nonstop, and is incredibly vigorous. It is always one of the first to send up pitchers in the spring and one of the last to stop at the end of the season. Fabulous plant.
Matt liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!