FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By Carnies
Matt wrote:Not sure a dedicated trip to visit us would be worth it, but if you tied it into doing other things in the area, that could be a fun trip. Probably best to wait until we get set up and start filling the greenhouse better, so maybe by next summer we'll get rolling with pumping out more plants in TC.
So worth it! I can also come over with my family and help pot some things up and help around. Very least I can do for what this forum has provided me with. Since you're moving to Missouri, which is a long trip, I'll wait for you guys to get settled.
Matt wrote:I'd love to recruit some FTC forum members, if possible and feasible, to come work with us.

I could travel up a few times a year and I'd be happy to help!
Matt liked this
By Matt
DragonsEye wrote:Before breaking ground, you might consider doing a heavily insulated pole barn or similar structure. A gent I know here in my section of "the Great White North" went that route when he moved. He grows plants for the terrarium/pdf trade as well as orchids. He originally had a greenhouse, but, when he moved, he decided to try a different approach. Can't recall if it is actually a pole barn. Either way, it is not a greenhouse. Lighting is supplied by LEDs and he insulated the snot out of the building. While he does have to run lights year-round, he found that he saves so much money on heating and cooling that he is much better off than with a traditional greenhouse.
That's interesting to consider, but I've never been a fan of a completely artificial grow setup. While I do see the value in it if required, the climate in MO is pretty ideal, actually, for growing most carnivorous plants. The winters are occasionally just a bit too cold, but flytraps and Sarracenia and most of the other species I'd ever consider growing, are tolerant of freeze and frosts. Neither of which will happen in a heated greenhouse. And plants in general just grow better under natural light in my experience. Plus, there is far fewer headaches to deal with if they get natural conditions. Missouri is humid and mild to warm most of the year. The winters can be pretty cold to very cold, but in recent years have been exceptionally mild. Thus, we'll only need to minimally heat the greenhouse to keep it above freezing outside of the extreme cold spells which, honestly, are becoming more frequent so that's something to be aware of and we may need to adjust accordingly. But we'll almost certainly not have to heat the greenhouse at all most of the time.

Also, my father already has constructed several buildings on the property that are basically what you describe. The newest building is on the order of 3000 square feet and it is essentially a "pole barn" with a 20+ foot ceiling in it. We could easily insulate the heck out of it and use it for an indoor grow setup as you describe, should we want to. There is also has a 5 car garage that is probably 1500 sq. ft. that would be easy to insulate as well and another very, very large barn on the property, in addition to a pump house, a cellar-style building, and a modest-sized residence with lots of rooms to grow in. Tons of possibilities on this property!!
By Matt
Carnies wrote:So worth it! I can also come over with my family and help pot some things up and help around. Very least I can do for what this forum has provided me with. Since you're moving to Missouri, which is a long trip, I'll wait for you guys to get settled.
You're welcome to come anytime after we're settled in! I'd love to meet many of you great FTC forum people in person if you're ever in the area. It's a long trip from CA, but if you're willing to do it, you're nothing but welcome :D
By ChefDean
Couple of questions.
Does the price tag on that monster include install and setup? Or are you responsible for assembly?
If they assemble, great. If you're responsible, when is that bad boy coming and what are your plans?
I have a few things scheduled this summer, but it's only a four hour drive, and I might be able to come up for a few days if necessary to help depending on when.
By Matt
ChefDean wrote:Does the price tag on that monster include install and setup? Or are you responsible for assembly? If they assemble, great. If you're responsible, when is that bad boy coming and what are your plans?
They do offer assembly for a fee, but it is essentially the same price as the hardware. Ouch! My dad has some construction friends and he's trying to get things organized with them to perhaps get them to construct it. He's thinking about contacting the same guys that recently did his pole barn to see if they're available and if they think they could pull it off with our help. I don't know if it will pan out though.

And unfortunately, my dad is in the hospital again as of yesterday. I guess his hemoglobin levels were so low on the most recent blood test that they wanted him to go to the ER immediately to get a blood transfusion. They worried he would just pass out from lack of oxygen in his blood. Ugh. I spoke with him this morning and he seemed OK but his hemoglobin levels aren't very high even after the blood transfusion, so he's not sure they're gonna let him go home today. We have a meeting in an hour with the FarmTek people to discuss the project. We may end up having to use them to construct as well if my dad can't coordinate something.

In addition to his recent heart surgery, he's also been diagnosed with colon and kidney cancer. They suspect he's bleeding internally somewhere and that's why his blood levels aren't good. Obviously, I'm super worried and super stressed about his health. I sure hope he can get the care he needs to recover but he does seem to be dealing with problem after problem and his health is declining pretty rapidly. I'm scared....

ChefDean wrote:I have a few things scheduled this summer, but it's only a four hour drive, and I might be able to come up for a few days if necessary to help depending on when.
Oh man, that would be amazing if you could come help! I don't have a delivery date yet, but I think it is a 12 week lead time for manufacturing, so we're looking at July-August for a delivery timeframe. I'll be traveling back to attempt assembly, hopefully with my dad and whoever he can contract to help. Attached below are the generic plans for the building. Seems like it is doable even for a non-handy-person like myself, especially after figuring out the first column/rafter assembly because it is just a repeat pattern all the way through the greenhouse on 12' centers.
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 246 times
If it proves to be too daunting, I might have to just suck it up and pay for the FarmTek contractors to assemble it, but I'm hoping that won't be the case.
By ChefDean
As long as all the hardware is included (bolts, nuts, washers, caulk, foam strips, etc.) this looks like a hand tool type of job. Repetition for 9 sections, the trim work will take longer than assembly. Not difficult as long as you make sure every tab A is properly in slot B and tight.
Is the plan to bolt this to concrete or stake it down?
By Matt
ChefDean wrote:As long as all the hardware is included (bolts, nuts, washers, caulk, foam strips, etc.) this looks like a hand tool type of job. Repetition for 9 sections, the trim work will take longer than assembly. Not difficult as long as you make sure every tab A is properly in slot B and tight.
Exactly. And after the first couple of sections, I expect we'll get into a rhythm and it will go fairly quickly. But it's a lot of nuts, bolts, washers, caulk, foam strips, etc.!!

ChefDean wrote:Is the plan to bolt this to concrete or stake it down?
The plan is to bolt and epoxy the base plats to the concrete footer.
ChefDean liked this
By Matt
DragonsEye wrote:I've been in Missouri in the summer ... "warm" is an understatement. LOL
LOL! For sure!! The truth is that it is much cooler than Oregon though in terms of absolute temperature. It's just that the humidity makes it feel stifling much of the time. In Oregon last summer, we were routinely getting temps over 100°F. That's pretty uncommon in Missouri, though it does happen occasionally.
By Drummer230
Sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he is okay. I live about 4.5 hrs from St. Louis (Dean and I actually live in the same town lol). I'd be more than happy to come take a weekend trip to play with carnivorous plants! Seriously, just let me know.
Matt liked this
By Matt
Drummer230 wrote:Sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he is okay. I live about 4.5 hrs from St. Louis (Dean and I actually live in the same town lol). I'd be more than happy to come take a weekend trip to play with carnivorous plants! Seriously, just let me know.
Thanks so much! I really appreciate your all's support here. Means a lot to me :D
By Bixtor36
The midwest seems to have that kind of magnetism! I never thought I'd leave North Carolina, I loved it there. Came back to Cincinnati to take care of my in-laws. Sorry to hear about your dad man, that's got to be very difficult for all of you...

Very nice greenhouse though, I'm very jealous! You're living the dream in that regard. The humidity and summer temps are pretty awesome for carnivorous plants over this way as well; the greenhouse with some light winter heating will be perfect!

In any other scenario, I'd be jumping to come help, but I have a baby due in July, so my wife probably wouldn't be thrilled with me disappearing :lol: I'm headed down to North Carolina here in a couple weeks for some carnivorous plant stuff, and even this quick, 3-months-before-the-baby trip got the disapproving glare :o Looks like I'll be coming home with some top tier gifts! Hopefully the opportunity arises further in the future where I could be useful helping you all out with something. I'd love to see the setup at some point!
Matt liked this
By Matt
Bixtor36 wrote:In any other scenario, I'd be jumping to come help, but I have a baby due in July, so my wife probably wouldn't be thrilled with me disappearing :lol:
Oh wow, congratulations! Yeah, no, I'm sure you're wife wouldn't be too excited to be left home alone with a newborn while you go help a stranger set up a greenhouse :lol: :lol:

Enjoy the trip to NC and you're welcome to swing by anytime and check out our new setup in Missouri!
By Matt
Update! Here's a 3-D rendering that the company worked up for us after our initial design phone call:
https://esapco.sharefile.com/share/view ... eb732f9328

I love how they put little flytraps on the greenhouse benches!!
Adrien liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!