FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By albertoburrito
Hello, I recently purchased a Venus fly trap. I've been caring for it for a month, and it seems to be doing well. It is currently in a 3x3x4 inch pot. I am going to repot it in the winter. I asked some questions on reddit, but some people said to top water, while others said to use the tray method. Since the pot is small, I want to use the tray method, but it is hot in AZ and I'm worried of it getting too dry and hot. How should I water them?
By ChefDean
Tray watering is fine. However, since AZ sun can get intense and humidity very low, I'd suggest putting it in a spot that only gets sun until about 9 once you're into summer, then shade for the rest of the day. The low humidity will make the pot dry out fast, so you'll want to find that happy medium where it never dries out, but isn't swimming either.
Apollyon, Matt liked this
By Apollyon
Yeah. Honestly with the desert sun, people can keep them alive but they sometimes look ratty in the peak summer. Some have found that a 30%+ shade cloth goes a long way with keeping the plant looking good. Or as Chef said, not catching the brunt of the afternoon sun 100+ will also help.

Considering the extreme temperatures though, I'd tray water to have more control over it and prevent it from drying out. You get a much better idea of how much water is left doing it that way. Just don't go overboard on the water level
Matt liked this
By albertoburrito
Thanks! I have a wide tree in the backyard that keeps everything cool under it during the hottest parts of the day. :)
By Matt
ChefDean wrote:Tray watering is fine. However, since AZ sun can get intense and humidity very low, I'd suggest putting it in a spot that only gets sun until about 9 once you're into summer, then shade for the rest of the day. The low humidity will make the pot dry out fast, so you'll want to find that happy medium where it never dries out, but isn't swimming either.
Apollyon wrote:Yeah. Honestly with the desert sun, people can keep them alive but they sometimes look ratty in the peak summer. Some have found that a 30%+ shade cloth goes a long way with keeping the plant looking good. Or as Chef said, not catching the brunt of the afternoon sun 100+ will also help.
Both of the above are very sound advice. Where we live in southern Oregon is much like a desert after July. I lived in Tucson, Arizona for a number of years and the summers here in southern Oregon are now getting quite similar to that climate with temps regularly getting over 100°F and relative humidity down near 20%. Flytraps can easily survive it as long as their soil is kept damp but they do look pretty ragged by the end of summer. As both @ChefDean and @Apollyon, mentioned, try to keep them in the shade once it gets over 95F or so and that should help them immensely. Good growing!
By albertoburrito
Thank you! I have an area in my yard that gets shaded during the hottest part of the day.
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!