FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Seabass
Hello, I'm new to the FlytrapCare forums, I was wondering if my carnivorous plants were healthy or not.
Attachments:
IMG_0094.JPG
IMG_0094.JPG (3.64 MiB) Viewed 4579 times
IMG_0093.JPG
IMG_0093.JPG (4.41 MiB) Viewed 4579 times
IMG_0092.JPG
IMG_0092.JPG (4.27 MiB) Viewed 4579 times
IMG_0091.JPG
IMG_0091.JPG (3.87 MiB) Viewed 4579 times
IMG_0090.JPG
IMG_0090.JPG (5.37 MiB) Viewed 4579 times
By ChefDean
They actually look really nice, but a little dry on top. That could simply be because the top is rustic looking, so the tips dry out quicker. However, I would suggest separating those plants into their own pots as Sarrs like it wet, while VFT's prefer damp to moist. Too much water can cause a rot issue with Flytraps. Also, maybe not so rustic looking because, while it looks like the growth point is exposed, it could be situated better to allow unobstructed growth as it gets bigger.
Otherwise, good looking plants!
By Matt
Your plants look very healthy indeed!

However, what sort of moss is that on top of the soil? It isn't sphagnum and it looks to be green moss or some sort of decorative moss some of which are toxic to carnivorous plants.

Can you post a photo of the label of the moss that is visible on the top of the pots? If they're potted in that stuff, you'll probably want to repot them ASAP. If it's just a top dressing, you should probably remove it.
By Panman
This is one of Little Pot of Horrors kits, isn't it? If it is, the moss is a top dressing. In the past, I have used various types of moss for a top dressing; a practice that I learned is not recommended. Now, I stick with using sphagnum moss, dry or live, as my top dressings.
By Panman
Unfortunately, many nurseries have no clue about growing CP. They treat them like houseplants. To be on the safe side, I would change out the moss for CP safe sphagnum or just leave the top dressing off all together. I do like to have the top dressing, though, because it helps it to maintain the moisture level.
Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!