FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By MikeB
My Drosera x 'Dreamsicle' plants are off to a good start this year.
Dreamsicle.jpg
Dreamsicle.jpg (576.99 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
They're hitting 3 inches (8 cm) tall. I divided them a few weeks ago. From that 5 inch (12.5 cm) pot, I got 13 divisions. I put 9 of them in a 10 inch (25 cm) pot, and the other 4 went in small pots for future sale.

My Drosera filiformis var. filiformis plants are a bit slower to start.
Filiformis.jpg
Filiformis.jpg (525.21 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
They're hitting 1.5 inches (4 cm) tall. From that 14 inch (35 cm) pot, I got 58 divisions! :o 17 of them went back into the pot (with fresh soil), and the other 41 are in small pots for future sale.

Edit: Had to fix an English-to-metric conversion.
Last edited by MikeB on Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChefDean, Matt, Vanval1230 and 2 others liked this
By DeadlyCarnivore
Very nice! Filiformis is one of my favorite but I was never able to get them grow... They ALWAYS rot for me. :'( Your Dramsicles look AMAZING!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

By Vanval1230
Love them! This is what I'm planning on doing with my tracyi, filiformis red and other dews I have.
Do you notice a difference with peat vs lfs with these (if you've used both)?
I'm definitely on the hunt for a dreamsicle (maybe some filiformis also) when you're ready to sell some ;)
By MikeB
DeadlyCarnivore wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:29 amVery nice! Filiformis is one of my favorite but I was never able to get them grow... They ALWAYS rot for me. :'(
How do you care for them? Since part of their range is southeastern North Carolina, I treat them just like flytraps, and they pretty much take care of themselves.
Vanval1230 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:53 pmLove them! This is what I'm planning on doing with my tracyi, filiformis red and other dews I have.
I've been growing Drosera filiformis var. filiformis for years now. Between the divisions and the seeds, they multiply like crazy, particularly the Florida Red variety.
Vanval1230 wrote:Do you notice a difference with peat vs lfs with these (if you've used both)?
I grow them in my standard CP mix of 3:1:1 peat moss, perlite, and coarse sand. I should dig up one of the extras from a Sarracenia pot and plant it in LFS to see if that makes any difference.
Vanval1230 wrote:I'm definitely on the hunt for a dreamsicle (maybe some filiformis also) when you're ready to sell some ;)
My plants will be ready for sale by the end of the month. I just want to make sure that they settle in and grow (doesn't seem to be much of a problem with filiformis).
By Matt
MikeB wrote:I've been growing Drosera filiformis var. filiformis for years now. Between the divisions and the seeds, they multiply like crazy, particularly the Florida Red variety.
Let me know if you're up for a trade! I'd like to add some more filiformis to my colleciton.
By DragonsEye
Haven't taken my Dreamcicle x selfs out of the fridge yet. We've had unusually warm weather, but I "know" that if I put them outside, snow and ice will return.
By DeadlyCarnivore

MikeB wrote:How do you care for them? Since part of their range is southeastern North Carolina, I treat them just like flytraps, and they pretty much take care of themselves.
Not really sure.. Its been a couple of years since I gave up on tryung to grow them. All I remember is that they would rot not long after I get them.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

By MikeB
Over the weekend, I checked the migrants that sprouted in my other pots. I found one threadleaf sundew that has an unusual amount of red and another one that has no red at all (anthocyanin-free?). I'm not sure about the parentage of these plants. I had some Florida Reds a few years ago but couldn't keep them because they refused to go dormant in the fall. They hybridized with my regular threadleaf sundews, so I have a few plants that are sorta red and go dormant. I also have the Dreamsicle plants, but I didn't have a pure-blooded Drosera tracyi until this year. There's no telling what mishmash of genes those two plants have.
By optique
@MikeB, Is that pure LFSM or a topper? I remember reading thread leafs do not like LFSM, but your look very happy.
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!